News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: Mix Project Song 1: Caroline  (Read 552 times)

May 21, 2014, 12:23:27 AM
This is one of three songs that I tracked and am mixing for a project. The instrumentation is minimum and there are mistakes (the band was not as well rehearsed as they should of been) but nonetheless, I am really digging their songs. Any strengths/ weaknesses of this mix would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gfq007j0z6bo1tk/Caroline.mp3

May 27, 2014, 11:13:05 PM
Sounds like a really fun group! I especially like their style… very refreshing. I've only listened to the song once, so these are only my initial impressions:

1) Intro guitar sounds a bit thin. Maybe bring your highs down a couple db.
2) The snare felt a smidge too loud when it came in with the drum fill. It works once the singing comes in so maybe just a bit of automation at the beginning?
3) It sounds like the acoustic guitar is the only tonal instrument that's hard panned. You might think about panning the piano a bit to the left to balance it out.
4) The cymbals are pumping really hard, especially around 2:32. Maybe either raise the threshold on your compressor or open up ratio?
5) This is more of a personal note so take it or leave it. To me, there could be a bit less reverb. The sound of the tune reminds me of something you might hear on the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack; very "old timey". You might take a listen to a few of those tracks as reference. Again, that's more of a personal preference.

Love the tune! So far so good!
Chris
Drummer, Songwriter, Recording/Mixing Engineer
--
Mac | UA Apollo 8p | Studio One Pro v3.2 | Eris E5 | Slate Digital Everything Bundle

June 12, 2014, 12:08:04 AM
Thanks Chris, yeah I have a problem with hearing compression sometimes LOL as I am sure others do. Thanks for the insights and hopefully I will get to remix it a bit and add an organ this song just begs for some good ol' B3  :)