News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: Newbie Zone  (Read 1791 times)

March 29, 2011, 03:40:01 PM
I'm sure I'm not the only "green" visitor to this site, attempting to get into audio engineering.

It would be cool to have a section for those of us without much experience to fearlessly ask the NOOB questioned without fear of reprisal - though I think the atmosphere is pretty good here in that respect already

Might be a good sub-forum to put in with 'mixing-talk' and you could sticky a bunch of resources for the newcomer (Tweakheadz, SOS guides, etc.)
Josh Maitland - Red Room Recordings
Running Cubase 5 on the Tascam US-1800
http://www.wix.com/maitlandjosh/redroomrecordings#!

March 29, 2011, 05:44:45 PM
I dont know.... alot of questions will come from others contributions to various threads and you should be free to ask away anywhere you like here!. Regardless of post count or experience with mixing and recording.
But having a newbie forum is just asking for a hierarchy thats totally and utterly useless for the purpose of learning, here at this point in time, all of us are newbies on this forum!, as everything is new here there is no said way yet. Even tho I have "some experience", what I learned is the more I think I know, the less I really know!.
When it comes to mixing there really is no rules only good ears and a clear vision of where you want to go with your mix, how to achive it comes with experience. Of course there is good and bad compression and EQ settings ect. But in time you will learn to hear what is good for your vision and what is not, what made you get closer to your goal and what didnt. Trial and error, and keep moving forward, on and on and on. Thats the way to go, so ask away and keep mixing!. Thats my advise to you. 8)

Salvation Army
            bringing music to the people
                       since 1865

March 29, 2011, 06:12:25 PM
Fair enough - nobody likes hierarchy (except career politicians I suppose)

I do think a sub-forum for "Top Resources" related to various aspects of mixing might be cool though.

Each topic could be listed as "EQ Resources," "Reverb Resources", "Arrangement Resources" etc., with links to articles and such which people have found useful in their experience.

Just throwing it out there.

March 29, 2011, 06:44:49 PM
Absolutely! resource forum is much more inviting than newbie forum! :D
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 06:46:32 PM by MortenDK »

Salvation Army
            bringing music to the people
                       since 1865

March 29, 2011, 08:04:16 PM
I've been considering a 'mixing resources' area, probably with links to other sites, and to books, videos, etc.

I think it would be arranged as "Books and Videos", "Websites", "Podcasts", "Other" with the understanding that each post would be about only one resource, with people free to review and comment about that book or website on that thread. That way, things can stay relatively easy to search/browse.

Any other categories to include?

March 29, 2011, 08:15:38 PM
Cocktail stirrers vs. shakers - for "mixing", y' see.

I keed.  ;D

March 29, 2011, 08:20:19 PM
I've been considering a 'mixing resources' area, probably with links to other sites, and to books, videos, etc.

I think it would be arranged as "Books and Videos", "Websites", "Podcasts", "Other" with the understanding that each post would be about only one resource, with people free to review and comment about that book or website on that thread. That way, things can stay relatively easy to search/browse.

Any other categories to include?

Websites is a bit general, and could probably include a few other categories which are more specific - like Gear Websites, Mixing Websites, Online Articles, Web Forums etc.