News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: The Cars/The Birds Mix Critique  (Read 945 times)

• No avatar
March 13, 2014, 02:33:29 AM
Hi guys.  Pretty much done mixing this song I'm working on for a good friend.  It's pretty "The Cars".  I tracked, mixed and mastered.

To me, I think the guitars sound pretty thin and uninspiring, but at times they work.  We were on a tight schedule.

Let me know what you think!

« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 02:36:38 AM by Kurtis Roy »

• No avatar
July 02, 2014, 11:03:13 PM
Like it!
I actually like the guitar tone a lot! Elvis costello / the Cars, you nailed it.
Great vocals too.

• No avatar
July 21, 2014, 02:50:23 PM
Great tune!! Love the guitars and Vocals. I actually don't mind the raw drum sound, it suits the song. The only real thought I have that would not be subjective, would be to re-do the drum track with a click track for the drummer…maybe encourage him to play with less fills, that IMHO are thawing him off tempo. Love it!!

• No avatar
January 22, 2015, 08:44:10 AM
Searching for a way to fix this problem.

• No avatar
March 12, 2015, 07:12:27 PM
 :) I love the song - definitely reminds me of an Elvis Costello or (pre-Tragic Kingdom) No Doubt kind of thing (which I love)....nothing is jumping out at me as far as tone or balance; I guess the timing gets wonky here and there but I can't tell if it's the drummer pulling away or the vocal...if it was like 18% more in time, I'd say it was just adding to the character of the tune, so maybe not as big an issue. Great stuff!

Edit: just realizing how late I am to this thread lol....I'm new here so everything seems fresh to me!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 07:23:25 PM by SoulChorea »

• No avatar
April 02, 2015, 06:56:10 PM
I really dig the vibe !

• No avatar
May 28, 2015, 07:05:26 PM
Kurtis Roy,

really enjoyed the track, great feel and vibe, nice vox..

Yes the timing issues were noticeable, but the song actually still works despite the weaving in and out of time.. actually I'm amazed it all stayed together as the timing moved in and out..

A click track is a good foundation, and the challenge is when you have a click track is how to keep the vibe and feel yet work to the click..

The guitars only sound thin to my ear when they are prominent, most of the time in the mix, when it is busier, the guitars work well if you ask me.. but as you hear too, maybe get creative with the guitars' sounds when they are more prominent? Lots of possibilities on how to improve them: saturators, eq, bit of harmonic distortion, doubling, lots of things you could try...

• No avatar
May 31, 2015, 11:19:01 AM
hey Kurtis

Cool vibe you have in this song. Guitars and vocals sound great and i like the effects on the vocals. For me i would like the hook to sound bigger and maybe a little more weight to the bass but i think your mix really suits the song.