News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: How is this wonderful guitar sound achieved?  (Read 3460 times)

March 23, 2011, 09:59:07 AM
Elbow - Ribcage (at 2:11)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hyIpDzTnpU

It sounds extremely high passed and then some kind of ring modulator seems to kick in and take over but I think there may be more to it than that. Anyone familiar with this sound.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 10:03:51 AM by joethfc »

March 23, 2011, 05:40:57 PM

Sounds like a combination of an echo/delay and perhaps a filter...Im referring to the beginning of song.

8)

March 24, 2011, 08:22:40 PM

Sounds like a combination of an echo/delay and perhaps a filter...Im referring to the beginning of song.

8)

Thanks but what about in the breakdown at 2:11?

• No avatar
March 29, 2011, 09:00:40 PM
It sounds kind of like a gated delay or something like that. Or like flicking the pickup selector switch back and forth on a LP so the signal cuts in and out

March 29, 2011, 09:20:04 PM
To me it sounds like what you get when you play the guitar by putting your flat hand on the strings, like patting the strings, instead of picking. Left hand frets chords, right hand mutes and 'pats' the strings. I could show better than describe!

March 29, 2011, 09:30:36 PM
To me it sounds like what you get when you play the guitar by putting your flat hand on the strings, like patting the strings, instead of picking. Left hand frets chords, right hand mutes and 'pats' the strings. I could show better than describe!

That makes sense to me actually, possibly with the side of a plectrum or even a whammy bar though, sounds too twangy to be a bare hand. I think you've solved it.

April 02, 2011, 11:02:59 PM
Hmm high pass filer and heavy compression and I think its a sequence that may have been reversed so that its playing backwards.

Dunno, thats what it sounds like to me. could be way off the mark!.

cool sound though!
Cubase V5 with Yamaha N12

• No avatar
April 04, 2011, 05:39:07 AM
You mean the part that sounds like a cat meowing? That sounds like a volume pedal with loads of reverb to me.