News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: first pair of monitors  (Read 762 times)

• No avatar
January 16, 2014, 08:54:12 PM
Hey all! I'm new to this forum and looking for a pair of monitors. I demoed a bunch at the local music stores and the ones that stood out to me were the Yamaha hs50m (possibly a little biased based on everything ive read about them). However recently I've been offered a good deal on a pair of tannoy reveal 501a. Normally I would be hesitant about buying monitors  over the internet without listening to them but they are $150 cheaper than the yammies, and cheaper than most others I've seen in this class. I don't have a pair of tannoys available to listen to so I was wondering if they are decent quality. Also how similar are they to the hs50ms? Are there any other monitors that I should look into? My spending limit is $400 max

Sorry for making another topic about monitors but I need some quick replies, as this deal with the tannoys won't last.
Thanks!

January 19, 2014, 06:45:55 PM
Hi,

I don't have experience with those Tannoys, but Tannoy is a good brand, and the other Tannoy monitors I have used were very good. The Yamaha's are good too, I listened to them at the store, and came very close to buying a pair. I ended up getting Equator Audio's D5s, which I can highly recommend.

Really, all of these are good serviceable monitors. The biggest thing is going to be letting hem burn in for a little while, and listening to lots of familiar tracks on them, to give your brain a chance to learn their sound. Nothing can really replace spending time with the monitors.

Getting your room issues (if you have any) should be on your list, too. Some basic treatment can help a lot, in small rooms or very live rooms, especially.

• No avatar
January 20, 2014, 10:47:05 PM
Thanks for the reply John,

I passed on the Tannoy's, but I have been looking into room treatment.  I think I'm going to try and find a pair that are cheaper than the yamaha's to save some money for treatment materials and maybe a pair of monitor stands.

Thanks!

• No avatar
March 02, 2014, 09:56:34 AM
Did you get them or still finding for new ones?