News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: $5K...what would you buy? (Singer)  (Read 3297 times)

November 19, 2013, 10:35:42 AM
Free studio time is priceless.

I wish we had the internut in the 70's and 80's.

November 19, 2013, 11:40:24 AM
I think skills are still the key (and having some credits, to reel in clients) but the tech side is getting pretty flat. Many really good mixers work in the box, with some decent monitors at home. They go into the big room for finishing touches, maybe, but most of the work they do in their place. The room is treated, of course, but nothing too spectacular.

That said, I think that the software tools are getting better and better, and that lowers the barriers to entry. A good musician, with a good ear and patience can get a very good mix of his tracks at home. Maybe someone with years of experience would get a better mix, with more magic, more 'stunts' and so on, but to the end listener, the home mix may be good enough, especially if they're not after radio play, etc.

Selling home recordists on the idea that they can benefit from a pro mix is where our business is at, for the most part. Trying to get big money gigs is probably not realistic, unless you've already got a hit or two under your belt.

Working a nice studio has some advantages for me, though (having done a remote thing for the past 9 years,) the controlled environment means I can get sounds fast, and know what I'm hearing. And just having a separate control room is nice sometimes. Being in the room with the band is good, too, but makes it harder to fine tune things while tracking.

Agreed. Except we're talking about tracking. Tracking (to me) is all about good kit in a good room, in front of great performances. I can track a full band faster, with better results, 99 times out if 100,in a studio than on location - be that location a parking garage or a half-treated room.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. During these fits of absolute unconsciousness, I drank - God only knows how often or how much. As a matter of course, my enemies referred the insanity to the drink, rather than the drink to the insanity.
          -- Edgar Allan Poe

November 19, 2013, 04:37:33 PM
Tracking is a unique thing, of course.

My approach, as a location guy, was to work with the room, rather than neutralize it. Figure out what it sounded like, and go there. A punk band in a bedroom can sound great, if you're not trying to make a Blink 182 record, but instead go for Minor Threat. Same thing with any band; you're making a document of that group in that space.

Studios are great if they have a nice big room.  My main complaint about studios is that most of the surviving ones have smallish tracking rooms. If I want a big, live room, I go to an art gallery, etc.

That said, I'm not doing much locations tuff these days, it's just a huge pain the ass. going into a space, building a studio, recording a session, the tearing it all down again is hard work!