News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: $5K...what would you buy? (Singer)  (Read 2858 times)

November 19, 2013, 12:19:10 AM
People are slowly turning their basements into studio's. Studio can be wherever you wanted to be these days since the equipment to record with is easily portable.

Everyone has their own reel to reel now that records CD quality recordings.

Good enough for me. Better than what they had back in the day when they only used 4 tracks to record with.

November 19, 2013, 12:21:22 AM

Good enough for me. Better than what they had back when they only used 4 tracks to record with.

An mbox is not higher quality than the ssl in abby road.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. During these fits of absolute unconsciousness, I drank - God only knows how often or how much. As a matter of course, my enemies referred the insanity to the drink, rather than the drink to the insanity.
          -- Edgar Allan Poe

November 19, 2013, 12:32:32 AM
Like I said it sounds good enough for me which is all that matters. Studios are using software to record with just like I am.

Everyone has their own reel to reel. That puts someone out of a job somewhere.

November 19, 2013, 04:43:43 AM
I think skills are still the key (and having some credits, to reel in clients) but the tech side is getting pretty flat. Many really good mixers work in the box, with some decent monitors at home. They go into the big room for finishing touches, maybe, but most of the work they do in their place. The room is treated, of course, but nothing too spectacular.

That said, I think that the software tools are getting better and better, and that lowers the barriers to entry. A good musician, with a good ear and patience can get a very good mix of his tracks at home. Maybe someone with years of experience would get a better mix, with more magic, more 'stunts' and so on, but to the end listener, the home mix may be good enough, especially if they're not after radio play, etc.

Selling home recordists on the idea that they can benefit from a pro mix is where our business is at, for the most part. Trying to get big money gigs is probably not realistic, unless you've already got a hit or two under your belt.

Working a nice studio has some advantages for me, though (having done a remote thing for the past 9 years,) the controlled environment means I can get sounds fast, and know what I'm hearing. And just having a separate control room is nice sometimes. Being in the room with the band is good, too, but makes it harder to fine tune things while tracking.

November 19, 2013, 05:50:33 AM

Quote from: Vincent on Today at 12:19:55 PM
And from that you conclude what?

That you are consistently a doosh,
that you have a problem,
that you seem off your meds or on the wrong ones, 
that you are not  8) ,
and not worth reading,
and not worth any further consideration by me.

November 19, 2013, 06:29:22 AM
Good, I'm glad my future posts wont be read or even considered by you. That's exactly what I want.

;D
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 06:50:56 AM by Vincent »

November 19, 2013, 06:54:27 AM
Anyway, back to the debate.

I've been told I'm a master debater.

:D

November 19, 2013, 08:49:30 AM
I agree with john, skills and knowledge are key.

Hate using analogies however...

A professional chef at work can still come home and cook the same gourmet meal at home. Perhaps he doesn't have all the tools he has at work at home however he can still get the job done because he has the skills and knowledge to do so.

I see mixing and recording the same way.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 09:10:18 AM by Vincent »

November 19, 2013, 09:22:12 AM
To stretch the analogy even further there are some home cooks who are just as good as any professional cook. In fact I've tasted some home cooking that was way better than anything I tasted in a restaurant.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 09:26:19 AM by Vincent »

November 19, 2013, 09:59:33 AM
The reason the home cook is just as good or if not better sometimes is because they can take their time and cook with love. Chefs are just pumping out dish after dish in hopes of just completing the task.

Having said that though a buddy of mine was a cook on his way to becoming a chef as a teenager. He cooked meals that were outstanding from home, Cornish game hen, Leg of lamb.

Give a pro the tools (Pro Tools  8)) to complete the task and they should be able to complete that task in any location.

His cooking was actually better from home because he wasn't rushed and was more relaxed.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 10:28:05 AM by Vincent »