News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: $5K...what would you buy? (Singer)  (Read 2861 times)

• No avatar
November 17, 2013, 08:12:13 PM
Let's say all I have is a PC and Pro Tools. And I've been using studios but I want my own equipment for demos. What do I need?

November 17, 2013, 08:38:54 PM
To record a decent sounding demo you need.

Computer, recording softie, interface, preamp, microphones (or record direct using amp sims)

You may also need amps, instruments and midi controllers to record keyboard parts. Drum kit would be wise as well if you plan to add drums to your tunes.

Should have a bit of room treatment to cut down on room reflections. Would be nice to have some decent monitors and plugins to mix with. UAD card looks like a good choice.

Then you could go big time and start buying real hardware compressors however you will need more cash for that.

November 17, 2013, 09:02:55 PM
If you are doing vocal demos only then I would concentrate on building some type of vocal booth type of thing and then invest in a quality interface, preamp, microphone and pop filter.

Also need a set of closed back headphones.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 09:20:54 PM by Vincent »

November 18, 2013, 01:10:10 AM
"Demos" of what?

(BTW, and no judgment here, but do you realize hour nom de plume could be interpreted as a nom de guerre?)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 01:11:43 AM by vvv »

November 18, 2013, 02:47:20 AM
Totally depends on what you're doing. I've cut demos using a Line 6 Toneport and a cheap mic and my guitar. Or, if you want to track a whole band live, you need a lot more stuff.

Treatment, etc all depends on what you're recording, and where.

More details will get you better advice!

November 18, 2013, 08:35:07 AM
"Demos" of what?

(BTW, and no judgment here, but do you realize hour nom de plume could be interpreted as a nom de guerre?)

Demo is of your mom on her knees doing what she does best, It's an audio visual project.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 08:38:08 AM by Vincent »

November 18, 2013, 09:20:49 AM
If you record and are serious about being professional then you need to set up a homemade vocal booth. Having a treated area for recording makes mixing 1000 times easier. Couple hundred bucks work of Studio foam will get you closer to a pro sound before you buy one lick of equipment and a treated area can be done homemade or store bought with studio foam.

Even when they recorded in the old days they treated the room a little bit most times.

In the movie "La Bamaba",i believe buddy's basement studio had some treatment. Have to watch movie again to see if i'm right or not because it's been a while. it's the part where he did his first demo's in the movie then later on they went into a real studio where they did take after take after take.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 09:26:47 AM by Vincent »

November 18, 2013, 09:35:04 AM
I recorded for almost 5 years with no treatment, now I have some homemade room treatment and recording and mixing is night and day. Tracks mix themselves when you remove unwanted room noise and reflections (or as much as you can anyway)

Pro recorded tracks are easier to mix than home recordings because they have treated rooms and high quality Gear.

So that's what you need.

If I wanted to be a pro singer and get a pro sound I would create a vocal booth area in the room. It doesn't have to be an actual booth however more of an area where you record and you can put up foam or what not to absorb sound.

After that find your favorite high quality mic (whatever price range meets your budget) Check reviews before purchasing.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 09:42:33 AM by Vincent »

November 18, 2013, 10:39:49 AM
Studio arrangement and setup is important as well. Leave lots of elbow room in the recording area space so the artist doesn't feel to boxed in. Have enough room for guitar player and other instruments to record as well as vocals. Think of the future. What if you want to record instruments other than voice someday. Plan ahead for that.

November 18, 2013, 06:00:21 PM
Let's say all I have is a PC and Pro Tools. And I've been using studios but I want my own equipment for demos. What do I need?

A tape recorder, your voice, and an instrument.  Hours of arrangement & practice.

Save the cash for studio time.

Countless albums have been written on tour busses & vans, with nothing more than pen & paper.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. During these fits of absolute unconsciousness, I drank - God only knows how often or how much. As a matter of course, my enemies referred the insanity to the drink, rather than the drink to the insanity.
          -- Edgar Allan Poe