News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: Session files  (Read 1437 times)

October 20, 2013, 06:24:46 PM
What are everyone's thoughts about uploading session files with the mixoffs when submitting? It might prove insightful.

Just a thought.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. During these fits of absolute unconsciousness, I drank - God only knows how often or how much. As a matter of course, my enemies referred the insanity to the drink, rather than the drink to the insanity.
          -- Edgar Allan Poe

October 21, 2013, 03:54:28 AM
I am on the fence about this one. Session files, for me, are almost never useful, as the person doing the mix is generally using plug-ins that I don't have, etc.  Also, they may be less likely to consolidate the files, if they know I'm using the same DAW. I like to have a clean slate when I start a mix, of course.

On the other hand, I have, for a while, been thinking about doing a mixoff section with Reaper files, where everyone would commit to using only the stock plug-ins, and to posting their mix session files, for others to see. I think this could be a great way to see how others approach the mix. Using only stock plugs with a DAW that can be demoed for free might be worth pursuing. What do you think?

October 21, 2013, 09:32:36 AM

It could be helpful and insightful to some however what type of insight are you getting.

Is it like "Wow look at that"

or is it like "yo shut the blinds"

8)

Kidding

October 21, 2013, 11:10:27 AM
John - I was imagining the session files would be submitted with the MIXES, not the original stems. No need to consolidate then, unless you did a bunch of slice and dice on the actual tracks.

If I were doing that, I think I'd do stock and/or a selection of free plugins (like bootsie's). I think that would be fun.

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. During these fits of absolute unconsciousness, I drank - God only knows how often or how much. As a matter of course, my enemies referred the insanity to the drink, rather than the drink to the insanity.
          -- Edgar Allan Poe

October 22, 2013, 07:52:30 PM
I think generally it's a good idea! But - as you mentioned before - with all the different DAWs and plugins this might only be helpful to a handful of people. So is it worth the effort? I don't know.

On the other hand, I have, for a while, been thinking about doing a mixoff section with Reaper files, where everyone would commit to using only the stock plug-ins, and to posting their mix session files, for others to see. I think this could be a great way to see how others approach the mix. Using only stock plugs with a DAW that can be demoed for free might be worth pursuing. What do you think?

Sounds like a better plan. But who will actually do a mix with stock plugins in Reaper? I'm using reaper and I don't really want to mix like this. It took me a long time to get my work flow to where it is. I can only image what someone who uses an even different DAW would say! I don't think most people are that eager ;D Or they don't have the time to do an extra Reaper mix. Also, I don't want you to know all my little secrets   :P

October 22, 2013, 08:45:41 PM

What secrets do you have.

How to make vocals tinty.

Kidding

;D

October 22, 2013, 08:59:18 PM

just a joke

little ribbing.

October 22, 2013, 09:31:12 PM
I think generally it's a good idea! But - as you mentioned before - with all the different DAWs and plugins this might only be helpful to a handful of people. So is it worth the effort? I don't know.

It's not really that much EFFORT. Really it's just attaching 1 file to your post.

And we ALL have secret presets. ;-)

-- Edgar Allan Poe

October 23, 2013, 08:13:39 AM
It's not really that much EFFORT. Really it's just attaching 1 file to your post.

I guess you are right! Although a number of rendered/consolidated files might be required.

October 23, 2013, 04:19:36 PM

I guess you are right! Although a number of rendered/consolidated files might be required.

Possibly.

It's just a thought. Not anything I'd say to REQUIRE.

-- Edgar Allan Poe