News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: HELP  (Read 2226 times)

• No avatar
October 13, 2013, 04:23:38 PM
I Request your ears, in order to perfect this little version of a very well know song.
let's see...
https://soundcloud.com/v1nce/helpme2

October 13, 2013, 05:11:53 PM

Sounds good as is.

It's a very different version of this song however I like it.

The panning and stuff is all subjective.

Lot of old beatles recordings have odd pannings when listening through phones so I think you are on target for the overall sound.

Listening through phones.

8)

• No avatar
October 13, 2013, 05:51:13 PM
I must have listened to too many beatles record. Somehow got used to "odd panning' , as if it was normal. Thanks for sharing your 'nice' opinion. this, is an original
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzDafvtVv2U
I suppose your refere to headphones when you mention phones, right?
If anyone work with logic, I heard testing your mix on MONO can help to track down lots of phasing, and helps reinforce the mix impact, I also believe it would help me get a mix that would sound more similar on different stations. Having never tried that before, i tried, but when I switch all tracks to mono, I only get input 1, or 2. And, therefore only 1 speaker is working. Is it really the wa to do this, or is there a way to work with 2 speakers emitting the same signal?

October 13, 2013, 06:03:00 PM

I like the sound of your music and its done well however guitars sound panned to far left and right.

Try 75% left or right for guitars.

That's about all the input I can give.

Sounds good.

• No avatar
October 13, 2013, 06:25:19 PM
thanks, I'll take it. I make a note of that. 75%. some old Habit of "Hard panning"

October 13, 2013, 06:34:14 PM

Another old school tip.

Send/receive a hall verb on each guitar (Each guitar gets its own verb)

then pan the verb to opposite side.

Guitar left (send/receive to verb right 75%)
Guitar right (send/receive to verb left 75%)

I usually eq verbs and Lowpass at around 1000K as well.

October 15, 2013, 07:45:54 AM
Well it sure sounds different than the original  ;)

To me it sounds like the vocal doesn't stay up front all the time.
There are parts where it fall behind guitars even thou they are hard panned.
You could try to use volume automation to lead vocal and maybe ad a little bit more presence with eq.

Bass is quite up front and it is masking the kick. I don't have sub so I might be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time  ;D
Try make a small dip with bass eq at the tuning frequency of the kick and if that doesn't do the job maybe use a comp with kick in sidechain to take db or 2 off of the bass at every hit.

October 23, 2013, 03:43:36 AM
What a great and "unusual" version. Well done.

I think the main issue is the bottom. My monitors can pick up down to around 40Hz, and it's really thick there. I'd try a little low shelving in the 20-50Hz range. Try gently sloping it and see if that balances things out.
GEAR: 2010 iMac, Roland Quad Capture, Logic Pro 9, Yamaha HS80M speakers, etc.

• No avatar
October 28, 2013, 04:34:00 PM
thanks a lot duendito)

low shelving you mean is lowering this range 20-50 hz equaliser?
maybe it's the compressor preset I am using that's wrong (realized it was set on DANCE)
I will update when I get a chance, and get back to you, see if I improved things any.)
thank a lot again everyone.