News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: Need help with tracking rap vocals...  (Read 950 times)

• No avatar
September 17, 2013, 03:19:09 PM

Hey all reading,

I've always been recording rock, but recently have been mentoring a rap/hip hop group and would love a few tips on getting that 'Dre' sound.

Tracking vocals, i have a few choruses that need the effect that there is a group rapping the same thing (at least 4 overlapped), the aim is to make it sound thick and chant like, is there any way to achieve this without it sounding messy? because the roughs i have done atm are hella messy and all voices are very different and are a little pitchy.

September 17, 2013, 05:42:33 PM
You could try using an autotune plug to create multiple voices. Change the pitch slightly (just a few cents,) and some have a function to randomize the timing a little bit, too.

When I do any group vocals, is usually have three or four people around the mic, then do another pass, between the two you get a large group, that's balanced.

September 17, 2013, 08:35:18 PM
There are a lot of doubling plug-ins as well. Check those out.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. During these fits of absolute unconsciousness, I drank - God only knows how often or how much. As a matter of course, my enemies referred the insanity to the drink, rather than the drink to the insanity.
          -- Edgar Allan Poe

September 17, 2013, 08:41:00 PM

Been thinking about adding some chants to my tunes as well.

I think single recordings (layered may work) if you keep mic in same spot and move around Like stadium seating or something...move over a foot and record...move another foot record.

That's how I may try it if I do it on my own...record a bunch of myself in different spots in the room.

• No avatar
September 18, 2013, 01:11:38 AM
I would try using doubling plug-ins with small different pitch settings for each "voice". If you have more than one person that can sing that part, it would also be a great idea to record them all at once. You will have the same effect from the doubling plug-in but much more natural.
I wouldn't recomend you recording more than one take and then layering them... If it's a really fast rapping piece, it will be really hard to match differents takes really close, and you will end with a really messy effect. At this point, you could do a bunch of editing and align them, but I would not recommend doing the work this way, being different and effective ways to achieve the same result...

PS: For the heavy thick sound, you could try doubling the main vocal and heavily compresing it, then blend those two signals
Online Mixing & Mastering Services
Affordable prices with professional result guaranteed !
Don't hesitate to contact me @ alejofornasari@gmail.com
https://soundcloud.com/alejo-fornasari

• No avatar
September 18, 2013, 04:16:00 AM
Dre's uses a C800-G into a 1073. The fullness you're referring to is just simple doubling. But the performance has to be on point or the editing needs to save the day.