News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: Mixing Talk Guidelines - Please Read!  (Read 3530 times)

March 19, 2011, 06:09:04 PM
Since Mixoff.org is all about mixing, I think it's time to add a mixing discussion area, for members to just chat and share techniques, etc.

What we want to see: Posts asking intelligent mixing questions, discussions of mix philosophy, technique, etc.

What we don't want to see: Questions about what gear to buy, tracking related questions, off-topic discussions about politics, etc.

Let's keep it nice and on-topic, there are already a gazillion recording-related sites with gear recommendations, etc.

Thanks!

John

March 19, 2011, 11:47:26 PM
Thanks John - you read my mind - I was actually going to post a request for a sub-forum like this.

Lovin' the site man, keep up the good work

J
Josh Maitland - Red Room Recordings
Running Cubase 5 on the Tascam US-1800
http://www.wix.com/maitlandjosh/redroomrecordings#!

March 22, 2011, 06:55:10 PM
What about a thread discussing our favourite plugins to mix with? Gear and mixing are quite hard to separate but I do know where you are coming from - we could do without a ton of threads about "which _ to buy?"

• No avatar
April 27, 2011, 09:56:56 PM
What about a thread discussing our favourite plugins to mix with? Gear and mixing are quite hard to separate but I do know where you are coming from - we could do without a ton of threads about "which _ to buy?"

Perhaps a separate sub-forum for plugins?

www.xandermoser.com

April 28, 2011, 12:54:56 AM
I can put one in, if it seems needed. So far, there hasn't been too much call for that, but I can see it. I guess the question would be whether to have one forum, or sub-forums for different platforms, etc. Probably one forum to start with...

• No avatar
April 28, 2011, 03:23:31 AM
Just an idea for the future.

I really like the way things are now. I think you had a great idea that really benefits the community. And you are doing a wonderful job managing it and keeping it up to date. So thanks!

www.xandermoser.com

April 28, 2011, 08:10:04 AM
+1 Great job John

Salvation Army
            bringing music to the people
                       since 1865

• No avatar
May 06, 2011, 03:56:21 AM
Quote from: JohnSuitcase
I can put one in, if it seems needed. So far, there hasn't been too much call for that, but I can see it. I guess the question would be whether to have one forum, or sub-forums for different platforms, etc. Probably one forum to start with...

I don't think we need separate forum for this just yet.

I think it would be good to let the mix talk forum go a while then see where the distinctions are. If things become more PC/Mac/Analogue delineated then make them the markers, if things become DAW/Analogue delineated, break it up by DAW etc etc.

It's hard because many things can be used cross platform, and, software wise, some companies make things for multiple DAWS/platforms.

If we just keep the Mix Talk forum to just that, mix talk, we can avoid the which to buy, x vs y, x > y flame war threads, but I think (and correct me if I am wrong John) you would still be able to discuss the plugs/gear that you use for mixing and how you use it - favourite or not  ;) without any problems. For now I don't see a reason. If you disucss it in terms of mixing all good, if you want to do otherwise, then as stated before....

...there are already a gazillion recording-related sites with gear recommendations, etc.

But these are just my opinions and others' may be different.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 04:03:43 AM by Kryogen »
Republic of Western Australia

May 06, 2011, 09:18:35 AM

Mixing forum would be good...Needs to be organized though.

Have different catagories for each type of plugin/effect.

Example

Mixing...click

I need info on EQ

EQ...click...Now you see all the threads started for EQ.
Compression
Echo/Reverb

I would probably do the same for VST plugins as well.

Other forums have VST plugin section however its usually one thread or something...Be nice to make it easier to find what your looking for if it was a little organized.

You dont want to have to many boards or sub boards going on either in forum because it can get a bit crowded which isnt good however since this is a mixing forum I think we definitely need an organized mixing section.

May 06, 2011, 03:27:54 PM
I'd suggest using the 'mixing talk' forum for now, and I can split/move topics as things grow a little bit. I don't want to have 20 forums with no posts, either!

I also think there is a good bit of interplay between these things. Eq affects compression, compression affects reverb, reverb can affect overall tonality, etc. If I have a question about pre-emphasis with eq before a compressor, where would that go?

Same with plug-ins, as you could break them down by function or by platform, or by type, etc.

I used to do database design, and defining the entities too early can cause some problems, too late causes others!