News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: Asked to describe how this site works  (Read 983 times)

July 19, 2013, 07:54:03 PM
, ... by someone at TOMB, I said,

As the artiste, you upload your multi-tracks and link 'em.

As the mixer, you download the multi-tracks and mix 'em.

In general, the artiste uploads to get feedback on the material as well as (mebbe) publicity, and the mixers upload their mix for critique, both from the artiste, and other mixers, and to compare their work to others/learn how others do it.

As the uploader, it can be a bit frustrating (both in prepping the tracks with basic gating and mebbe noise reduction, lengths, etc., and just think of the time involved in uploading a half gig or more), especially when you don't get any takers.  Me, I've a thick skin, and I want to offer support to the site so I upload so there's some divergent content (the site tends to be modern-rock heavy).

As a mixer, it can take quite a while to download the stuff, and sometimes the comments can be a bit biting. Me, I've a thick skin there also (I know what I like), and I think it's important to keep my hand in mixing others' stuff, and give feedback and interaction in the process.

July 22, 2013, 12:59:44 AM
I think that's a fair description!

I wish there were an easier way to exchange tracks, but having everyone compress raw tracks to mp3, or maybe 16bit would compromise the mixes too much, I think.

July 22, 2013, 08:18:24 AM
APE/FLAC is the answer! Most people post huge WAV files, which is not necessary at all. Almost every DAW supports FLAC, and for those that don't support it, there are freeware decoders available for all major operating systems.

And IMO 16 bit per sep is sufficient too if the recording quality is good enough (i.e. no peeks above 0 dBFS).

I recently uploaded the seps for a song in APE, FLAC and WAV format. The APE and FLAC archives were 98 MB in size, die WAV archive (compressed with 7-zip) was roundabout 600 MB!

Regards,
  Steffen

July 22, 2013, 08:12:33 PM
Mebbe that should be a thread topic or poll as to whether others would willing use FLAC, etc.

From my point of view, I posted tracks over a week ago that no one has touched; I don't know if the WAV downloads are too big or the song just sux/everyone's busy, etc.  ;D

But if I had posted them in FLAC, I would suspect it's because too many wouldn't know how to deal with the format ...

July 23, 2013, 12:33:57 AM
We can do a poll, and see if everyone is OK with FLAC. Anything to cut bandwidth and space on services like dropbox would be good!

July 24, 2013, 12:31:53 AM
Please do!  ;D