News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: Glorious Unknown Collab.  (Read 21625 times)

• No avatar
May 01, 2011, 01:08:37 AM
I dont know!? Mattskis ideas with your tracks I guess!? If Mattskis had some arrangement ideas and its your tracks and know what is what and blah blah blah.
I was just trying to get the ball rolling course its such a great song and Mattskis know hes s*** about producing and arranging that you might benefit from mattskis ideas, or not!? but having heard hes latest upload in the World music mixoff. I just have a gut feeling that this could be germ, after Mattskis has had hes hands on it... in whatever ever form that it might be. And that this could be something really cool.
But it was just me having an idea and just thought I put it out there... ;)
Thanks for the kind words  :)

Yeah this could be cool. But I have to say this is already a nice song, but to take it to another level it needs some careful and imaginative thought.

May 01, 2011, 09:09:05 AM
 ;)

Salvation Army
            bringing music to the people
                       since 1865

May 01, 2011, 09:38:46 PM
Ahhh... ok.

I will erase your previous uploaded tracks, and wait...

already uploaded them. the link is a few posts above, and no complaints, yet  :-[

and I confess I didn't download your tracks. they were great, and because of that I knew the moment I'd have them in my hard drive I wouldn't record my own bass or percussion... ;)

looking forward to hearing some feedback and to see how things develop. it's fun to see arrangement suggestions appearing :)

Thanks.

No one has done Penny Whistle on this yet? I can't believe it!

May 02, 2011, 03:51:49 PM
oookaaay, then...
splits unsplit, tracks healed and in place, consolidated/exported into DI tracks and rendered into processed tracks (with 'entire project' box checked), midi percussion exported into midi file, all files imported into new project with zero's original tracks, and all synced to the last beat (119.2.20)...

mind you, a few beats of amazing silence I added in my mix may be lost forever... :'(

so, without further ado...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24873953/Glorious%20Unkown%20-%20stickfigure%20-%20healed%20tracks.rar

Hi,
Sorry to say, but these still do not align to what I have from the original tracks.
Now, it starts closer, but still no cigar.
And, once I did line it up to the tempo change, it STILL drifts off course, although it goes in and out of time a bit. What DAW software are you using?

I am using Pro Tools HD 9.0.2, which does not drift audio like this ever... and I've been using PT since 1996.

Here is a quick print of what it sounds like when I just import the files straight to the top of my session, which is also the top of the original files:

On this first file, I have my mix, including all the original tracks from Guitar zero, all on the LEFT. Your tracks I lined up to the start of Guitar Zeros' tracks, and panned them to the right.

http://nicksevilla.com/music/Glorious-Stickfigurenonaligned01.mp3

On this second track, I MANUALLY moved your tracks, to where they start EXACTLY on bar 35, where the tempo is changed to 134, from 123. I moved all your files 0.744 mS LATER(almost 3/4 of one second!!!). So that your loop starts exactly on bar 35. You can hear that by the second chorus, it is already straying off the rest of the original track. It seems to mostly stay on tempo, but drifts back and forth earlier and later than the tempo. In some bars, your loop is early by a but, and in other bars it is later. How did you create that percussion loop?

http://nicksevilla.com/music/Glorious-Stickfigurenonaligned02.mp3

I like some of the elec. guitar stuff, I will try to incorporate it into the song.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 03:55:59 PM by noeqplease »

May 02, 2011, 06:18:46 PM
Most be a sample rate thing!? if the original files are say 48 and Stickfigure is working with 44.1 and export them as such that might be the problem!?

Salvation Army
            bringing music to the people
                       since 1865

• No avatar
May 02, 2011, 06:36:40 PM
Hi,
Sorry to say, but these still do not align to what I have from the original tracks.
And, once I did line it up to the tempo change, it STILL drifts off course, although it goes in and out of time a bit. What DAW software are you using?

How did you create that percussion loop?

Damn! Damn! Damn!  >:(

I'm using Reaper v3.04, but the tempo drifting can be my own fault, at least regarding the guitars and bass :( the drums were programmed and snapped to the grid, so they should be pretty constant.

The loop was created using EZdrummer, using a pattern from the pop library through the Latin Percussion kit.

I'm not somewhere where I can listen to your tracks right now, but I'll listen to them as soon as I can.

Thanks ;)

May 03, 2011, 02:21:03 AM
Hi,

How did you create that percussion loop?

Damn! Damn! Damn!  >:(

I'm using Reaper v3.04, but the tempo drifting can be my own fault, at least regarding the guitars and bass :( the drums were programmed and snapped to the grid, so they should be pretty constant.

The loop was created using EZdrummer, using a pattern from the pop library through the Latin Percussion kit.

I'm not somewhere where I can listen to your tracks right now, but I'll listen to them as soon as I can.

Thanks ;)

hi stickfigure,

Yes, it's bad when DAW software does not make every single bar or a prerecorded loop the same length of time. Now at least we know Reaper does this... maybe they'll address it in the future? I hope so, for the independent artist community that uses this DAW... and cannot afford another one.
When I was referring to the time fluctuation, it was in regards to the loop exclusively. I found it strange that every single bar of loop was a very slightly different length, which as a whole makes the loop, and everythin you recorded along to it, drift ever so slightly ahead and then behind. I was able to measure about 6 mS on average early / late, but when you
add that up over the whole song, it sure is audible from about 1/3 of the way until the end. Bummer...

Now that we know this, when I have the time, I wil use some of what you did, especially the nice electrics.
I do want to see what Guitar Zero has to say about your performances, as he initially had stated he did not want the song to turn into a guitar fest...

Cheers

May 04, 2011, 05:44:23 PM
Hi guitar zero,

I had some time today to re-do my bass part, simplified and more in tune  ;D and add one (1) part from StickFigure's collection of guitars. The reason I added his, is that I had to do some noise reduction on it, so I added it here with that effect processing.
Here is an updated parts zip file:

http://nicksevilla.com/music/GloriousUnkown-NoeqpleaseParts.zip

And the ruff Mix :

http://nicksevilla.com/music/Glorious_Unknown_NOEQPLEASEMIX_03.mp3

Let me know if you'll have more parts, or if you want me to do a proper mix of this, maybe next week I'll have a little time.

Cheers

• No avatar
May 05, 2011, 05:58:07 AM
Hi guitar zero,

I had some time today to re-do my bass part, simplified and more in tune  ;D and add one (1) part from StickFigure's collection of guitars. The reason I added his, is that I had to do some noise reduction on it, so I added it here with that effect processing.
Here is an updated parts zip file:

http://nicksevilla.com/music/GloriousUnkown-NoeqpleaseParts.zip

And the ruff Mix :

http://nicksevilla.com/music/Glorious_Unknown_NOEQPLEASEMIX_03.mp3

Let me know if you'll have more parts, or if you want me to do a proper mix of this, maybe next week I'll have a little time.

Cheers
This has been pretty fun listening to all the additions.  I really like some of the things that have been added.  The bass line is the right idea, but some of the notes sound wrong.  I really like the drum track in certain parts. 

Mattski sent me a P.M. with some pretty radical changes that would take this song in a completely different direction.  Mattski, I think you should post it for everyone to hear, just to see what everyone thinks.  It would certainly give this song a completely new complexion.  I don't know where this will lead, but it could be a lot of fun.

May 12, 2011, 03:15:32 AM
This has been pretty fun listening to all the additions.  I really like some of the things that have been added.  The bass line is the right idea, but some of the notes sound wrong.  I really like the drum track in certain parts. 

Mattski sent me a P.M. with some pretty radical changes that would take this song in a completely different direction.  Mattski, I think you should post it for everyone to hear, just to see what everyone thinks.  It would certainly give this song a completely new complexion.  I don't know where this will lead, but it could be a lot of fun.

Cool,

Please let me know which bass notes are wrong, so I can look at them and correct them. And as far as the drums, also let me know what would be better or different, so I can try that out as well.
I'm still mixing two albums at once, but we hit an overdub spedbump...so I am on hold for a day or two while those overdubs get sorted out... in NY...