News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: GearFest Mixing Contest - deadline june 1st 2013  (Read 7970 times)

• No avatar
May 25, 2013, 03:40:40 PM
I didn't use any kind of physical equipment. Should I write which VST's did I use for this or just write that I used Cubase?

• No avatar
May 26, 2013, 12:56:06 AM
This is my final submission. No sound replacement.

• No avatar
May 28, 2013, 09:29:42 AM
This is my "vintage" mix :) I used tape sounds somewhere and exciters... Can I have some opinions?

May 28, 2013, 07:31:35 PM
I didn't use any kind of physical equipment. Should I write which VST's did I use for this or just write that I used Cubase?
Yeah, just what you chose and why. How you got were you did on your mix
Leo Alvarez Mixer/producer
Soundjunkies productions
"I have a theory that if you aren't a little scared shitless about what you are working on then it isn't worth doing" John Congleton
"Genius is small pieces" Daniel Lanois

May 28, 2013, 07:55:13 PM
This is my final submission. No sound replacement.

I like the 'liveness' of this mix. It really gives the sensation of a live performance. I also like that you have her dynamics in check without making her sound squashed. Wasn't crazy about the edited pause at the end, it kinda messed with the live aspect of it but that's subjective. Suggestions, she could use a little more chest voice and the bass could be a little more consistent, sometimes it kind of briefly disappears and then reappears. A little tighter on the compressor would take care of it. Overall, very nice mix 8)
Soundjunkies productions
"I have a theory that if you aren't a little scared shitless about what you are working on then it isn't worth doing" John Congleton

• No avatar
May 28, 2013, 08:12:42 PM
Thanks man. I totally agree with your comments. I mixed it entirely on my flight from Pittsburgh to LA.  :D

May 28, 2013, 08:42:13 PM
This is my "vintage" mix :) I used tape sounds somewhere and exciters... Can I have some opinions?

I can appreciate where you were going with this but I'm not sure it's the correct approach to this song. When I mix someone who has stuff that I can listen to I make a point of checking out some of their stuff. With Liza's band the general theme I got was to sound like a band playing at the same time with what we do as mixers being as transparent as possible. You went for a specific sonic signature that makes them sound a little like she's overdubbed, separate.  The other thing is that everything is clustered in the middle, a small bit of panning would help to give a little more depth to the center of the mix. I'm basing my comments on what I perceive is the intent of the artist. There's nothing wrong with the sounds you got but they don't glue together as they should
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 10:16:36 PM by dasoundjunkie »
Soundjunkies productions

• No avatar
May 31, 2013, 07:40:10 PM
My first post and my first finished mix found through this board. :) Looking forward to learning a lot here.

• No avatar

June 09, 2013, 11:31:44 AM
HereĀ“s my shot:

More info in the description.