News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: GearFest Mixing Contest - deadline june 1st 2013  (Read 7107 times)

• No avatar

May 22, 2013, 06:34:49 PM
870 mixes yet... who can listen to this?  :o

That's why I mixed it and didn't bother to document and upload. It was fun, though.

I wanna hear how fun it was!!  ;)
not sure if I can attach an mp3 from my phone?

If this works, it's an early-ish version before I wrestled with the drums. It's really just a rough.  I don't have the project files any more, though, so it is what it is.  Gives you a good idea where I was headed, anyways.

Edit: apparently you can't upload files via tapatalk. I'll put a link up a little later.
Edit2: Here's the soundcloud -

Very nice, well balanced. My only criticism is the changing of the stereo field with the guitar feels a little unnatural for this type of track (completely subjective) I like it  ;D
Leo Alvarez Mixer/producer
Soundjunkies productions
"I have a theory that if you aren't a little scared shitless about what you are working on then it isn't worth doing" John Congleton
"Genius is small pieces" Daniel Lanois

May 23, 2013, 12:13:07 AM
870 mixes yet... who can listen to this?  :o

That's why I mixed it and didn't bother to document and upload. It was fun, though.

I wanna hear how fun it was!!  ;)
not sure if I can attach an mp3 from my phone?

If this works, it's an early-ish version before I wrestled with the drums. It's really just a rough.  I don't have the project files any more, though, so it is what it is.  Gives you a good idea where I was headed, anyways.

Edit: apparently you can't upload files via tapatalk. I'll put a link up a little later.
Edit2: Here's the soundcloud -

Very nice, well balanced. My only criticism is the changing of the stereo field with the guitar feels a little unnatural for this type of track (completely subjective) I like it  ;D
Thank you. I guess I'm just really over particular sometimes. To me, the kick is too mushy, the snare is too clicky, and in this version I hadn't found the toms yet. And it's over compressed on the 2 bus. Lol.

I haven't decided if I'm going to finish this one. There's paid work in front of me demanding time, and there's other mixes I'm sure that are more "technically correct" than mine, which was the biggest criteria I saw.

If I get a chance tonight, I'm going to try to listen to some of the ones here...
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. During these fits of absolute unconsciousness, I drank - God only knows how often or how much. As a matter of course, my enemies referred the insanity to the drink, rather than the drink to the insanity.
          -- Edgar Allan Poe

May 23, 2013, 05:48:21 AM
Felt like it was intentional, felt kinda 70s, considering the music it seemed appropriate :)
Soundjunkies productions
"I have a theory that if you aren't a little scared shitless about what you are working on then it isn't worth doing" John Congleton

• No avatar
May 24, 2013, 04:25:47 PM
Is usage of drum samples allowed? I only used a kick drum sample and made a balance between the original kick and the sample. Didn't do resampling on anything else.

May 24, 2013, 05:23:10 PM
Yes!

Salvation Army
            bringing music to the people
                       since 1865

• No avatar
May 25, 2013, 09:43:58 AM
Yes!

Darn, I mastered it, is mastering allowed?  ;D No, I really did master it.

May 25, 2013, 01:16:53 PM
I did too. So used to doing it that t was automatic (where's the facepalm smily when u need it?) ;D
Soundjunkies productions

May 25, 2013, 01:34:16 PM
I did too. So used to doing it that t was automatic (where's the facepalm smily when u need it?) ;D

They said you can master it if you want, but they're listening to them level matched, so don't feel required to.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. During these fits of absolute unconsciousness, I drank - God only knows how often or how much. As a matter of course, my enemies referred the insanity to the drink, rather than the drink to the insanity.
          -- Edgar Allan Poe

May 25, 2013, 02:01:52 PM
Very cool, I was concerned about this because the very first comment I received was that it might be too loud for the contest. If they level match that's great, I didn't slam it so with or without the Slate it sounds pretty much identical :D
Soundjunkies productions