News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: GearFest Mixing Contest - deadline june 1st 2013  (Read 7449 times)

• No avatar
April 22, 2013, 06:35:00 PM
Hi guys
I just read about a new mixing contest. It is a really short multi-track session recording live at the GearFest.
Follow this link and register to get the files. You will also get a free coupon code for free pureMix videos tutorials about tracking this whole session with Fab Dupont (really interesting approach, and very funny btw with Fab humor).

http://www.puremix.net/gearfestmixingcontest

Things for consider in this mix:
1. Session was not tracking with metronome. Tempo change all the time between 102 to 110 BPM. Maybe you need to insert a lot of tempo changes in your DAW to sync your time-based FX, or just leave it plain.
2. Drums have 4 mics: 1 kick, 1 snare, 2 OHs.
3. Bass guitar was tracking with 1 DI and 1 mic amp.
4. Guitar was tracking with 1 mic.
5. Vocal was getting as an overdub, after one vocal scratch or guide track.
6. Genre is classic rock with nice female vocal by Liza Colby.
7. Deadline for mix submissions is june 1st 2013.
8. Issues you will face with this mixing will be bleeding, as it is a live recording session (maybe can be used in advantage to glue the track), width, because it has really only 1 melodic instrument (the guitar), vocal dynamics, kick cutting right through, and overhall tone.
9. The 16 best mix winners will be awarded with amazing prizes by Focal, Presonus, Dangerous Music, pureMix tutorials and more.

I started mixing this morning and almost finish it. It is really a simple session. Good luck guys. Have fun.

April 23, 2013, 09:09:19 PM
I grabbed the tracks and stated playing with it. Great performance. Biggest issue I'm seeing is vocal dynamics. Seems like that's where most of my time will be going.

Well over 100 entries already...
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. During these fits of absolute unconsciousness, I drank - God only knows how often or how much. As a matter of course, my enemies referred the insanity to the drink, rather than the drink to the insanity.
          -- Edgar Allan Poe

• No avatar
April 23, 2013, 11:25:59 PM
Check this thread in the homerecording page. The guys from pureMix are sharing some tips and recommendations for this contest.

http://homerecording.com/bbs/general-discussions/mix/gearfest-mixing-contest-356614/

They also create a group in soundcloud for uploading your mix.

• No avatar
April 27, 2013, 05:42:29 AM
Here is my mix:

• No avatar
April 28, 2013, 04:38:58 PM
The drums are tough on this as there is no seperate Hat or tom mics, just the kick, snare and two overheads.

• No avatar
April 30, 2013, 05:37:26 AM
This is my go at this kick arse song.

May 08, 2013, 03:10:04 PM
Brilliant Track and really interesting to watch the vids on the recording of the song. Here is my take, I think it needs more presence however I am not sure if that is something that could be sorted during Mastering/ Post Mastering process?

Cubase V5 with Yamaha N12

• No avatar
May 08, 2013, 04:11:58 PM
Brilliant Track and really interesting to watch the vids on the recording of the song. Here is my take, I think it needs more presence however I am not sure if that is something that could be sorted during Mastering/ Post Mastering process?

Where's the low end on the bass? Sounds to me like you're working in a room with some issue. You've thinned everything out, especially the guitar. The lttle crackle distortion on the guitar is more apparent than it is in the raw.

May 08, 2013, 04:23:59 PM
Heres mine

Salvation Army
            bringing music to the people
                       since 1865

May 08, 2013, 08:50:01 PM

Where's the low end on the bass? Sounds to me like you're working in a room with some issue. You've thinned everything out, especially the guitar. The lttle crackle distortion on the guitar is more apparent than it is in the raw.

I removed the low end of the bass because I wanted the frequency range to be used by the kick, I may have over done it though, but I didn't think by much. The room I am working in is my bedroom and is un treated and I have my pc base station sat right by me chuffing out all the fan noise you can ever want!! I would more than agree with you that my room has issues however I believe I should be able to adapt and I don't see that as being the main cause of any issues. The PC noise, yes maybe but not so much the room. Not sure I understand what you mean by saying that I thinned everything out? can you elaborate for me mate? Genuinely I need to learn so as hard as it is for me to ask (above me going off and thinking I am the next CLA!!) Have I over saturated the guitar? I quite liked the guitar tone, it was a bit abraisvive and I had to soften it a bit. I took out some of the 600hz range from the whole mix when I ran it through my ML-9000, could this be the cause of the "thinnning effect"?
Cubase V5 with Yamaha N12