News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: Let's start leaving feedback!  (Read 4064 times)

October 07, 2013, 08:01:12 AM
Hey I'm all for staying friendly however unfortunately for me that never happens and I have to defend myself to some troll.

The guy even admits he is a troll.

Trolls are the least of my problems...They are easy to deal with.

-----------

Getting screwed over by people you thought were your friends is tougher to deal with...I thought people only did this in high school and not in midlife.

Only person who ever had the balls to stand up for me at MCS is Stoman.

And he is the one with the most talent.

The less talented people/members are usually the judgemental ones and insecure as well (because they lack talent) and they are the ones who usually attack other peoples opinions and start the trouble.

I call them Woody Wood Peckers (troublemakers)

I have to deal with them on a constant basis (everywhere I go each site has at least a few trolls (ruining the website by attacking others opinions until they go away)

October 07, 2013, 08:38:54 AM

Please don't quote my post.

Form your own opinion without the filter of mine.

Grow a brain.

October 07, 2013, 10:29:17 AM
Back to my original plan about rating a mix instead of shredding it apart.

Could have the basic I give it a 7/10 or get a bit more complex say like a comic book grading guide.

It's just an idea...Not married to it.

I give that mix a 9.2/10

FAIR GRADE
FAIR/GOOD : 1.5
FAIR : 1.0

GOOD/VERY GOOD: 3.0
GOOD + : 2.5
GOOD: 2.0
GOOD - : 1.8

VERY GOOD/FINE: 5.0
VERY GOOD+ : 4.5
VERY GOOD : 4.0
VERY GOOD - :3.5

FINE + : 6.5
FINE: 6.0
FINE - : 5.5

VERY FINE+ : 8.5
VERY FINE : 8.0
VERY FINE - : 7.5

NEAR MINT : 9.4
NEAR MINT - : 9.2

NEAR MINT / MINT : 9.8
NEAR MINT+ : 9.6

GEM MINT: 10.0
MINT : 9.9
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 10:35:06 AM by Vincent »

October 07, 2013, 05:17:33 PM
I think a 10 point system is fine, but I think getting actual feedback is useful for most people. And you're free to disagree (both on the usefulness of feedback and on the actual feedback.)

There are a few places that do mixoff type competitions that use a voting system to determine winners, which is cool. But this forum was built around the idea of sharing ideas and knowledge, along with providing access to a lot of multitracks for practice.

I don't think criticism is something we should fear or avoid. If you're going to mix, you're going to hear criticism from clients, other mixers, etc. Learning to hear that criticism, decode it, and make adjustments is a key part of the gig, I think.

October 07, 2013, 06:07:19 PM

What if the person giving the feedback knows less than you and the advice is bad advice.

That's why I don't read to much into feedback or advice from other people.

Just my view on it.

I honestly don't even care about feedback anymore in regards to my music...I just want to create some high quality songs and recordings (before I kick the bucket some day)

Everyone has an opinion...they don't mean anything.

8)

October 07, 2013, 10:48:49 PM
I find giving feedback improves my own listening ability.  At the moment, I'm living at my mum's and I can only do 'music' when she's out, which isn't that often or for very long.  When I do get time, I have to chose to mix or give feedback.  I feel sorry that I chose to mix.

Often others have given feedback before I do and I question how valuable my feedback will be compared to feedback from more experienced users.

Feedback is very valuable and as a group, we must try and keep giving it.

Gaz

October 26, 2013, 12:58:10 AM
Totally agree. I leave feedback when I can.
GEAR: 2010 iMac, Roland Quad Capture, Logic Pro 9, Yamaha HS80M speakers, etc.

October 26, 2013, 07:15:47 AM
Most feedback I see and hear is not much use to me.

Mostly because the people giving it have less mixing experience than me.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 07:47:08 AM by Vincent »

October 26, 2013, 07:30:01 AM
Don't mean that in a derogatory manner either.

I usually look to much better mixers than myself to learn from.

On this site there are some really good mixers.

Duendito
Bugscoe

8)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 07:33:12 AM by Vincent »

October 26, 2013, 08:04:17 AM

I like leaving positive feedback when I can (for other people) however don't really care for anyone commenting on my mixes...I like them the way they are so I usually don't care what anyone says.

8)

I see the mixer as an artist as well (the extra guy in the band) because the mixer basically takes the material given and sculpts it into their vision.

I usually have an idea or an outlook of how I want a song or mix to sound then try and find a way of getting there (if I can)