News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: Let's start leaving feedback!  (Read 3563 times)

• No avatar
March 23, 2013, 10:56:46 PM
So guys, there are quite a few people here posting mixes but barely anybody leaving (honest) feedback. Why don't we start doing so?

March 24, 2013, 12:00:01 AM
I've wondered about this a bit. I know it takes time to critique others, and some may feel they don't have enough knowledge to offer criticism, but I think we all listen to enough music to know what sounds good and what doesn't. A critique doesn't have to involve technical analysis, or suggestions for how to improve, just some notes like a band would give can be helpful, along the lines of 'The bass seems boomy" or "I can't feel the kick."

If anyone expects to get some critiques, they need to be giving them, too. That's what makes a site like this useful, in my opinion!

March 24, 2013, 05:46:17 PM
So guys, there are quite a few people here posting mixes but barely anybody leaving (honest) feedback. Why don't we start doing so?

I was thinking the same thing lately.

I've wondered about this a bit. I know it takes time to critique others, and some may feel they don't have enough knowledge to offer criticism, but I think we all listen to enough music to know what sounds good and what doesn't. A critique doesn't have to involve technical analysis, or suggestions for how to improve, just some notes like a band would give can be helpful, along the lines of 'The bass seems boomy" or "I can't feel the kick."

If anyone expects to get some critiques, they need to be giving them, too. That's what makes a site like this useful, in my opinion!

Agreed. I think the message in the "main banner" said something like "please give some feedback before posting your own mixes" before the soundcloud player was embeddable. Maybe this could be restored as a friendly reminder?

March 24, 2013, 06:24:09 PM
I can do that, maybe it'll help!

June 30, 2013, 08:12:46 AM
Like JohnSuitcase says ... i feel not worth and small  ;D nah.
My english is quite bad and when it comes to technical stuff it gets even worse.

What about the 'Karma' Option? You need 5 Karmapoints (Feedback) to post your own mix and let others comment? Just an idea.

A friendly reminder is a good idea too.

October 04, 2013, 09:31:34 AM
So I'm bumping this...
Lately I'm seeing a lot of mixes being the first post of a user - or the second or the fifth - and no feedback on other mixes. I don't know about you, but some more "feedback giving" would be nice in this forum, wouldn't it?
Maybe we can add a message underneath the reply box of a topic to remind the users to give some feedback before posting a mix? Or even a quick "giving feedback guide" in the welcome sections or something like this?
My ultimate hope is of course that getting (more) feedback will encourage users to give more feedback.
What are your opinions on this?

October 04, 2013, 10:07:26 AM

Leaving feedback is always an issue even with artists.

I would rather see a rating system like 3 out of 5 stars for that mix instead of dissecting a mix and saying whats wrong with it.

The mixer will clearly know what's wrong with their mix once they hear better mixes.

Better info on how to mix is more important than actual feedback.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 10:14:32 AM by Vincent »

October 04, 2013, 11:13:38 AM
Sorry, Vincent, gotta disagree with you on that.

Sometimes, (see my multi-tracks  :D  ) there's only one or two mixes even posted.  And I think specifics re particular mixes can be very helpful, even if it only gives insight into the reviewer's orientation (ex., "big" drums vs. small, etc.). 

October 04, 2013, 11:17:09 AM

Not saying people can't give feedback if they want.

Just saying forcing feedback may not work (isn't working)

Disagree all you want it aint working.

October 04, 2013, 11:27:02 AM
The mixer will clearly know what's wrong with their mix once they hear better mixes.

I have do disagree with you on this. Most people have the problem that they can't hear what's wrong.

I'm not saying we should "force" feedback. This is the Internet, we can't force anything. But to clearly state "if you want to get some, give some", seems only fair.