News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: Mixing contest for Pensado's Place  (Read 3071 times)

February 06, 2013, 04:10:39 AM
Indaba Music & Dave Pensado / Pensado's Place are running a sort-of mixing contest.  I say "sort-of" because the basic stems are pretty heavily processed to start with, so I'm sure the submissions are going to be more along the remix lines than anything else.

Enter here if you are so inclined: https://beta.indabamusic.com/opportunities/pensados-place-mixing-competition-blades-the-maniac-agenda-featuring-daenine
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. During these fits of absolute unconsciousness, I drank - God only knows how often or how much. As a matter of course, my enemies referred the insanity to the drink, rather than the drink to the insanity.
          -- Edgar Allan Poe

• No avatar
February 06, 2013, 06:08:53 AM
The contest is meant to be a mixing contest, so you must mix the stems provided. You may add individual sounds that you own or control to augment your mix, but the original character and structure of the track must remain intact - this is not a remix contest!.

I find the sounds are well chosen and the vocals quite well recorded. This is a good starting point but there's still plenty of room to mix the thing as there is no mix at all in what's provided.

Cheers
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 06:14:32 AM by globule_655 »

February 06, 2013, 11:23:29 AM
The contest is meant to be a mixing contest, so you must mix the stems provided. You may add individual sounds that you own or control to augment your mix, but the original character and structure of the track must remain intact - this is not a remix contest!.

I find the sounds are well chosen and the vocals quite well recorded. This is a good starting point but there's still plenty of room to mix the thing as there is no mix at all in what's provided.

Cheers

I agree. I'm just saying that the stems already have a bunch of effects and processing on them. And if you listen through the submissions, unfortunately a lot of them are remixes.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. During these fits of absolute unconsciousness, I drank - God only knows how often or how much. As a matter of course, my enemies referred the insanity to the drink, rather than the drink to the insanity.
          -- Edgar Allan Poe

February 12, 2013, 06:17:48 AM
Thanks for the heads up! I decided to participate for this just for the sake of trying some dubstep :D The processed tracks didn't bother me as much, as I was worried initially would. In some ways it made the mixing faster. However the submix of the hats and the crash together was probably the biggest issue; no aggressive hat sound without totally washed cymbals.

FWIW, here's my mix:
http://awe.sm/eDKgd
"You don't go to a record school to go to courses, you go to record school to record there!"
http://soundcloud.com/spede-1