News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: Mixoff.org mixes in my portfolio?  (Read 1355 times)

• No avatar
January 25, 2013, 04:27:39 PM
I have recently setup a studio here in India and am in the process of building a portfolio, using which I can pitch for projects. These forums are awesome and I've already mixed 4 or 5 tracks from here. My question is, can I use these tracks in my portfolio/website? Of course I will give all the due credits to the band and clearly specify that ONLY the mix was done by me. The sonds will basically be hosted in Soundcloud and will be embedded on my website. I really hope this is ok, as I have spent quite sometime working on these mixes. :)

January 25, 2013, 10:01:14 PM
You'd need to get permission from the person who posted the tracks (and they'd ened permission from the band, if it's not a work of their own.)

Alternatively, you can link to the thread, and to your post in the thread.

Feel free to post a link to your site, too!

• No avatar
January 27, 2013, 04:37:16 AM
You'd need to get permission from the person who posted the tracks (and they'd ened permission from the band, if it's not a work of their own.)

Alternatively, you can link to the thread, and to your post in the thread.

Feel free to post a link to your site, too!

Thanks John. I see a lot of people here put their mixes on soundcloud. All I want to do is then embed it on my website. I will put all the Mixoff.org mixes together and link back to threads. Off the top of my head, I'd probably say something like "these are practise mixes, from mixoff.org and they will give you a good idea of what we are capable of".

Here is the very initial test page of the audio section on my site. http://agletdesign.com/audio/

January 27, 2013, 03:17:04 PM
I don't think there'd be a problem, but I'd still recommend contacting the person who posted the tracks, just to make sure there are no bad feelings. Posting to the thread is fine, as it makes it clear that it was a mixoff, so no confusion is possible.

Obviously, getting gigs depends on having a way to show your skills, it's just a question of making sure your potential clients know those weren't paid gigs (as someone out there probably did get paid to mix those songs!)