News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: Mixing Contest with Ola Englund and his Death Metal Band Feared. Prizes to win!  (Read 5010 times)

• No avatar
January 17, 2013, 08:38:24 AM
Hallo Everyone,

Ola Eglund known from his band Feared and his countless Recording Tutorials on Youtube started a Mixing Contest

The winners have the chance to win prizes by the following Brands:
Randall Amplifiers, Seymour Duncan, Rocktron, Dean Markley, Warwick, Zildjian,
DDrum, Presonus, Toontrack, Systematic Audio etc

In order to participate visit the bands website (http://www.fearedband.com/competition) and fill out the form. Beware that only one participation per person is allowed. Be patient after submitting your name and E-mail adress as it might take up to 12 hours before the tracks have been send to you.

You a free to do what ever you want: Make your best mix or make a remix. You are allowed to add your own parts and totally rearrange the Song.

Once you are finished upload the track to either Soundcloud or Youtube and tag it with the following content:
#fearedmixingcomp before February 5th 2013

A jury will than determine the three winners on 10th of February 2013

Also check out the official forum on http://www.metalguitarist.org/forum/general-music-discussion/51020-feared-mixing-competition-17.html

happy mixing and remixing

;D

« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 05:16:00 PM by novikthewise »

January 17, 2013, 04:23:07 PM
Very cool!

Also, since the mixes are being posted to soundcloud and YouTube, I imagine it'd be ok to post a link to your mix here, to share with everyone.

Mixing death metal is its own world, if anyone hasn't tried it before, give it a shot!

• No avatar
January 17, 2013, 05:23:01 PM
Ok cool,

hell why didn't do someone a spellcheck on my starting post. Wonder that you even understood what i was writing there. lol  :D

Yeah mixing metal can be a hard task. Proper phasealignment of the drums and may be miced gutiars vs DI tracks and a well controlled lowend are the key to a proper metal mix

nevermind
here is my mix

i didn't do anything special about it. Just plain mixing as i don't have the time for creative work right now :-[
Have to babysitt 2 cats as 2 good friends of mine make a trip to mexico for 3 weeks.  :). I agreed to help them out.

greetings novik
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 12:44:07 PM by novikthewise »

January 17, 2013, 07:58:34 PM
Is it ok to say that I'm Scared???  ;D

Never mixed Death Metal before, used to be in to Death/ Thrash metal when I was a kid. Was more into the melodic stuff that was done by "Death" than the Deicide sort of sound. Its going to be interesting to revisit the genre and a real test I think  8)
Cubase V5 with Yamaha N12

• No avatar
January 21, 2013, 09:18:24 PM
This is my mixing for feared competition possesed enjoy

www.youtube.com/watch?v=21TK_81po2o&feature=youtu.be

January 28, 2013, 01:19:14 PM
Oh, I didn't notice this thread before. I posted my submission weeks ago. I guess I'll post it here. This was a very fast one. No drum replacement, no re-amping, just a straightforward, four-hour mix. I was using Slipknot's Iowa and Avenged Sevenfold's eponymous album as a reference.

Here's some feedback:

This is my mixing for feared competition possesed enjoy

www.youtube.com/watch?v=21TK_81po2o&feature=youtu.be

It feels like there's quite a lot of small room-type reverb on guitars, which give the impression they're playing in another room. I'm no expert in metal but I've always though they should be one the most up-front instrument ever. Also some of the low end of the guitar during the palm mutes jump on me especially at the 1:12 part.

I'm enjoying the breathing quality of this mix; it's nice that you didn't kill this song with super compression. I also like the sound of cymbals, probably because I was aiming for a similar sound :D

Yeah mixing metal can be a hard task. Proper phasealignment of the drums and may be miced gutiars vs DI tracks and a well controlled lowend are the key to a proper metal mix

nevermind
here is my mix

i didn't do anything special about it. Just plain mixing as i don't have the time for creative work right now :-[
Have to babysitt 2 cats as 2 good friends of mine make a trip to mexico for 3 weeks.  :). I agreed to help them out.

greetings novik

It sounds like some of the cymbal hits are cut short in the very beginning.

That's a great snare sound! Sounds like the original, but you just managed to make it cut through very well. Good job on that one.

I guess I'd personally have little more low end impact from the kick though but that kind of thing is hard to pull off especially for the rapid parts.

Some of the compression (either on master bus of on drums) feels little fatiguing on the long run. Might be too much or too fast. The overall tone sure is ass-kicking though.

"You don't go to a record school to go to courses, you go to record school to record there!"
http://soundcloud.com/spede-1

January 29, 2013, 12:51:59 AM
Finally finished, had most difficulty with the kit (toms, cyms) and bass. Found the gtrs and Voice not too bad. My first attempt at mixing Death and I really enjoyed it. Went on a little trip down memory lane haha.

My ears are done in now, I will give feedback on the other mixes tomorrow once my ears have returned to normal.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 01:00:40 AM by Zabrilla »
Cubase V5 with Yamaha N12

• No avatar
January 29, 2013, 06:27:07 PM
Hallo Spede,

thanks for your comment. I am always impressed how analytical you are with your critics. You are perfectly right with the drum compression. This was out of laziness i am afraid. I put the cymbals on the parallel compressed drum bus as well. I usually don't do this as the cymbals tend to flutter when running the parallel bus too hot. Wich i did ;D. I usually would do some other things as well but since this was a rough 2 hour mix i plainly didn't do all the things i usually do.
I am always carefull with the lowend wich often is to low then. What i would have done was automation of the kickdrum EQ in the lowend. In fast double bass parts i usually lower the lowend whereas in more calm parts i raise it. Did't do it this time so i decided to keep the tighter lowend the whole mix.

I think that cymbal you mentioned at the beginning of the song is a bleed from the snare mic wich is cut out by the gate than. i will look into this.

Now to your mix.

I think the overall balance is just fine. What i personally don't like is the bassguitar sound. Its a bit to midrange heavy and therefore draws more attention than it should by sitting a bit on top. It also is masking the guitars wich might be a bit buried in the mix and scooped out. They lack a bit of definition to me and do not carry the song as they should. the drums and vocals a just fine to me.
I have to say i am judging this with my headphones as i am not at home right now and i might be wrong about it.  :)

to Zabrilla

haha your additions are creeping me out ;D
i don't know if you did this intentionally but for me your mix sounds a bit small and narrow wich is mainly due to the guitars beeing almost completely mono. Sounds a bit weired to me. but i like your additions much haha ;D
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 06:46:42 PM by novikthewise »

• No avatar
January 29, 2013, 06:27:40 PM

I used all the original files. VERY cool song.

January 30, 2013, 04:17:16 PM
My metal mixes most often don't sound like metal  :D :D
Anyway... here is my submission:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoEFfESOjJ4

Will be back with some comments on previous mixes sometime later  :P

Edit: Wasn't happy, so I did a remix:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oovT-nJwcow
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 02:43:08 PM by 140dBSPL »