News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: Master or not to master.. the mix!?  (Read 4051 times)

March 09, 2011, 03:38:50 PM
Hey all Morten here
what are the guideline for posting your mixes!? Matered or not mastered!?
Is it up the individual to deside for themselfs or is there a rule here!?
My personal oppinion is that we shouldnt master our mix when we submit in a mix off, it should be straight off the mix buss so its easier to comment on the mix.

Cheers
Morten

Salvation Army
            bringing music to the people
                       since 1865

March 09, 2011, 04:50:57 PM
I've thought a little about this, too.

Many of us do a sort of quasi-mastering on our two buss when printing reference mixes. Obviously when sending the tracks to a mastering engineer, you pull that two buss limiter off, and maybe lower the overall level a bit.

I think if people want to squash their mix, that's probably ok. If you make a note in your post that your mix is unmastered, or has two buss limiting, etc, it'll give people a better idea of what they're listening for.

But for now, there's no hard guideline.

What do you think about having a 'mastering' section, where someone could post a 24bit wave stereo recording, and other could post their mastered versions of the song? A little off topic for here, but might be fun!

March 09, 2011, 05:29:58 PM
Well personaly I dont care much for mastering!. I want to mix and be rally good at it course I love it!.
So a mastering forum is maybe too much at the moment, but it could be a future thing if this really takes of! :)

Salvation Army
                       since 1865

March 09, 2011, 06:18:51 PM

Matsering section is probably a good idea.... 8)

March 10, 2011, 01:56:04 PM
Wow, never really thought of that.....not everyone even knows how to master or what it is....good question. What if we were to print 2 versions, one unmastered and one mastered?
Mix It!

March 14, 2011, 07:34:09 PM
Hi,

This is a MIXING forum.
Mastering is done afterwards, so I highly suggest none of us do any "mastering" after having the mix done. If nothing else, we do not have perspective enough to master a song we just mixed.
There is a reason you use a Mastering Engineer for that job.
There is no Loudness War here, we are judging a mix based on what it is, not how loud it sounds. At least I am.

Cheers

March 14, 2011, 10:29:27 PM
Yes I couldnt agree more!. Id rather hear what was the output of your mix buss with all the depth and wideness. Not a 2D picture after a limiter has done its work.

Salvation Army
                       since 1865

March 14, 2011, 10:42:13 PM
Cool idear.

And here everything I already posted was somewhat limited and Q'd on the 2-buss ...

March 14, 2011, 11:30:13 PM
Well theres a difference between having EQs and comps on the mixbuss that you mix into!. Course that will help shape you mix. Just dont put a limiter on after the fact(mix) is done to get it louder, thats my point. Leave the mixbuss like you would if you where going to send it to mastering.
That way we can better hear the "vision" behind the mix.

Salvation Army
                       since 1865

March 15, 2011, 05:42:44 AM
Guilty.  :'(