News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: Can someone take stems out of this song for free? (Sorry,I don't have any money)  (Read 3135 times)

• No avatar
January 05, 2013, 08:10:08 PM
My band has done mastering for this LP, and the mix is horrible so the mastering couldn't be so great and I was wondering could I do a better job with stems than the mastering we payed for?

Just tell me what kind of audio format you want and I'll send it.

Btw, please don't repost the stems, etc anywhere.

January 05, 2013, 09:42:50 PM
Hi Sergej

It's not uncommon for songs to be remixed from stems, but usually this is a fixup if the song wasn't mixed well in the first place and you can't get back to your mixing engineer to redo it. However, the stems themselves are mixes of a number of tracks and if theses aren't mixed well you're also stuck.

I suggest you make stems available like this (assuming these are the instruments):

- drums
- bass
- guitars
- keyboards
- lead vocals
- backing vocals

Post them as 44.1kHz, 24 bit (16 bit is ok if you can't do 24).

Cheers
Amos
Dig in!

• No avatar
January 05, 2013, 09:55:14 PM
Hi Sergej

It's not uncommon for songs to be remixed from stems, but usually this is a fixup if the song wasn't mixed well in the first place and you can't get back to your mixing engineer to redo it. However, the stems themselves are mixes of a number of tracks and if theses aren't mixed well you're also stuck.

I suggest you make stems available like this (assuming these are the instruments):

- drums
- bass
- guitars
- keyboards
- lead vocals
- backing vocals

Post them as 44.1kHz, 24 bit (16 bit is ok if you can't do 24).

Cheers
Amos

The problem is that I can't make the stems (or don't know how to) because I haven't got great equipment or a great sound card and can't do the remix. Otherwise, if I had them I'd make it sound better.
So my question is if someone could make the stems. Btw, thanks for the response!

January 06, 2013, 12:55:23 AM
The problem is that I can't make the stems (or don't know how to) because I haven't got great equipment or a great sound card and can't do the remix. Otherwise, if I had them I'd make it sound better.
So my question is if someone could make the stems. Btw, thanks for the response!

What are you asking the stems to be made from?
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity. During these fits of absolute unconsciousness, I drank - God only knows how often or how much. As a matter of course, my enemies referred the insanity to the drink, rather than the drink to the insanity.
          -- Edgar Allan Poe

• No avatar
January 06, 2013, 01:27:12 AM

[/quote]

There are 2 options for you because it sounds like you have all the original files (the original recordings).

Option 1: Post the files on here via dropbox and let the people on here remix it for you from the originals, and then we could provide you with the stems AS WELL AS a stereo mix/master.

Option 2: Post the files on here via dropbox and any of us can convert the files to stems without any mixing. That would be very quick to do, but it also means the tracks will not be mixed in any way, which likely means that it would sound bad no matter what you did at the mastering stage.

January 06, 2013, 09:46:14 AM
Somehow it sounds to me like you want stems generated from the mix? That won't happen.
If not, it would be much better just to remix the whole thing. There's only so much mastering can do.

• No avatar
January 06, 2013, 11:26:19 AM
I don't have the original files, I only have the mixed and the mastered version of the album, no raw tracks, no anything so I was asking if it is possible for someone to make stems from the song itself and it looks like that isn't possible (which I thought it was).

January 06, 2013, 11:31:37 AM
I don't have the original files, I only have the mixed and the mastered version of the album, no raw tracks, no anything so I was asking if it is possible for someone to make stems from the song itself and it looks like that isn't possible (which I thought it was).

No, that's pretty much impossible. But someone's gotta have the raw tracks?

• No avatar
January 06, 2013, 11:58:28 AM

No, that's pretty much impossible. But someone's gotta have the raw tracks?

I doubt they exist, the producer is a great guy, but not a good producer. Tho, the files were recorded 2004, and I wasn't in the band 'till January last year.

• No avatar
January 06, 2013, 02:17:25 PM
So upload the mixed version here for us to do a good mastering.