News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: Mixing Bass guitar  (Read 2058 times)

• No avatar
December 13, 2012, 11:27:42 PM
So one of the dilemmas I have is with Bass guitar. I can get the guitar to sit right in the mix with EQ and compression
but in places in the song when a lower note is played because of the stronger string vibration it is louder and throws off the
Bass mix . If I go to correct for that with EQ and compression the upper register notes sound thin.
I find a problem with the open E notes and then on 5 string basses
with the open B. Playing through a DI. What are some of the solutions that you all do to correct the note loudness difference.
Thanks

December 16, 2012, 09:01:47 AM
So one of the dilemmas I have is with Bass guitar. I can get the guitar to sit right in the mix with EQ and compression
but in places in the song when a lower note is played because of the stronger string vibration it is louder and throws off the
Bass mix . If I go to correct for that with EQ and compression the upper register notes sound thin.
with the open B. Playing through a DI. What are some of the solutions that you all do to correct the note loudness difference.
Thanks

The note loudness difference issue is a true problem occasionally. Especially some classic bass models (Precision, Jazz) have this quality, many "Hifi"-basses (with active pickups) much less. Many skilled bassists use this weakness to their advantage; if song has a D note on it, they might play the D on the 5th fret of the A string during the verses and on the 10th fret of an E string during the Choruses. Louder, fatter. Of course there are also bad bass guitars which have uneven response and bad bass players too, who can't control their dynamics. ;)

If I have some troubles with the unevenness of a bass guitar, I usually compress the low end only with a multiband to even the response, before putting a normal compressor. If the compressor seems to pump from low end fluctuation, I simply use faster release :D Most of the time I have a version of an 1176 with fastest release dialed in.
"You don't go to a record school to go to courses, you go to record school to record there!"
http://soundcloud.com/spede-1

December 17, 2012, 12:21:11 AM
Part of that has to do with the player, as said - mebbe most of it.  As I am my own bassist, on those occasions, I play it again.

When mixing others' stuff, I generally hand-ride the gain; I'm ITB, so I often just go in and find the offending note and lower it destructively, right on the track - it's typically easy to see and usually in the same place (ex., start of the riff.)

If I'm inna hurry, then heavy compression and limiting, with mebbe a pass filter if it's the low E.

• No avatar
December 17, 2012, 03:16:14 PM
Thanks

The note loudness difference issue is a true problem occasionally. Especially some classic bass models (Precision, Jazz) have this quality, many "Hifi"-basses (with active pickups) much less. Many skilled bassists use this weakness to their advantage; if song has a D note on it, they might play the D on the 5th fret of the A string during the verses and on the 10th fret of an E string during the Choruses. Louder, fatter. Of course there are also bad bass guitars which have uneven response and bad bass players too, who can't control their dynamics. ;)

If I have some troubles with the unevenness of a bass guitar, I usually compress the low end only with a multiband to even the response, before putting a normal compressor. If the compressor seems to pump from low end fluctuation, I simply use faster release :D Most of the time I have a version of an 1176 with fastest release dialed in.

Yup that sounds like a very good approach.

• No avatar
January 04, 2013, 04:18:02 AM
Are you sure it's not a monitoring issue? Does it do the same thing on headphones, and on other systems in other rooms?

www.xandermoser.com