News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: Mixing competitions/polls  (Read 1723 times)

• No avatar
March 08, 2011, 03:59:21 AM
Well, this site is called "Mixoffs" afterall...why not give us something to aim for?  It would be cool to have mixing competitions where forum members can vote on the best mix.

Some sort of token prize would be cool, too, but certainly wouldn't be required to turn things into a fun, friendly [informative] challenge.

Perhaps members could decide on a song per day/week/month to turn into a competitive mixoff.  Or, I suppose we could just use forum Polling to setup competitions for our own tracks.  Would be cool to have things a little more formalized, though.

What say ye all?

André

March 08, 2011, 03:16:58 PM
I am planning to do some competitive mixoffs, with prizes in the future. I don't know about polls as a mechanism (though you're free to start one anytime, I suppose!)

I'm thinking more along the lines of having a mixoff of a song, with a set deadline, and a 'celebrity' judge.

The problem with that strategy is whether people will be as willing to offer constructive criticism to each other!

To do a poll-style one, you'd need to as for entrants, and offer your prize. Then, once you have the list, create a poll with everyone's name. Or, you could create a poll at the end of the time fram, on another thread.

Hmm...

• No avatar
May 01, 2011, 12:55:41 AM
I am planning to do some competitive mixoffs, with prizes in the future. I don't know about polls as a mechanism (though you're free to start one anytime, I suppose!)

I'm thinking more along the lines of having a mixoff of a song, with a set deadline, and a 'celebrity' judge.

The problem with that strategy is whether people will be as willing to offer constructive criticism to each other!

To do a poll-style one, you'd need to as for entrants, and offer your prize. Then, once you have the list, create a poll with everyone's name. Or, you could create a poll at the end of the time fram, on another thread.

Hmm...
I was thinking a group of qualified people to be judges.

Here's my suggestion. Have the competition and weed out the bad mixes with the members here first. Then the mixes that make it to the final round get reviewed and critiqued by the panel of judges. I would have 3 qualified mix engineers that mix for a living. One I would like to be a woman because they sometimes hear and feel music differently. Another chair will be the artist/band/producer. And last an everyday consumer or fan of that featured artist or band. Or just a music lover without any technical skills. In the end the consumer's vote will not count but their insight in how they hear the mixes should shed some insight to many engineers on how they hear music.

May 01, 2011, 08:16:04 AM
If your going to have mixing competitions just make it simple.

Could be as simple as having a member volunteer to be judge instead of doing a mix.

Or randomly pick a members name and they have to be the judge for that competition.

Gives people a chance to be Judge and to be judged.

I like it.

--------------

Or you could have 3 judges like american idol...need two votes to stay in or your out of the competition...you only get one chance/mix to make it through.

Once you get to the final 5 or 10 or whatever then you get a chance to remix again.

If competition is close you could do another round of remixing for the title.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 08:27:01 AM by Vincent »

May 01, 2011, 06:45:32 PM
Yeah, the contest thing can get complicated fast!

Anyone can start a contest, of course, offering some sort of prize is an enticement, but even just naming someone a winner could be motivation enough. Basically, whoever starts a contest can invite anyone to judge, if they want a panel. They should commit to critiquing every mix submitted, and take the time to give actionable feedback, if they are technically capable, or at least subjective feedback of the sort you get from clients ("I like it but the snare feels too fat, can you make it have more whack?")

The main thing is committing to:

-Give feedback on every mix

-Set end end date for submissions

-Select a winner (and be prepared to defend your choice!)

Providing references will help make the judging process easier and a little more objective.

If you start a contest with a prize, let me know and I'll be sure to promote it with a banner, etc, too!

I'm also still working on future contest ideas, once the Mike Senior contest is officially in the bag!