News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: Reverb: how much is too much?  (Read 3038 times)

November 16, 2012, 05:51:53 PM
This questions like how long is a peice of string
Use your ears with reverb they wont lie to you

Thanks for the read

Well, my ears seem to be telling me to use less reverb than I hear in some other mixes.  ;)
GEAR: 2010 iMac, Roland Quad Capture, Logic Pro 9, Yamaha HS80M speakers, etc.

November 24, 2012, 11:11:49 PM
I think the trick is to EQ the reverb return so the effect doesn't wash everything out.  You can really tuck the reverb in behind the mix so it's not obvious but it's obvious when you mute it.

Also it can take quite a while to find the right reverb, so I spend a good while auditioning various options.

CD
We never finish a mix - We simply abandon them.  Adam A7's , Focusrite Pro24 DSP, Focusrite LiquidMix, Presonus FaderPort, Sennheiser HD250 Linear II

December 11, 2012, 07:22:15 PM
I think the trick is to EQ the reverb return so the effect doesn't wash everything out.  You can really tuck the reverb in behind the mix so it's not obvious but it's obvious when you mute it.

Also it can take quite a while to find the right reverb, so I spend a good while auditioning various options.

CD

I like the word "auditioning" in this context, that's indeed what it's like, auditioning different verb settings until one really stands out for a particular song. I don't bother with factory presets, well I do start with them sometimes but I find I have to "tame the lion" so to speak, when it comes to tweaking those presets to get one I like.
GEAR: 2010 iMac, Roland Quad Capture, Logic Pro 9, Yamaha HS80M speakers, etc.