News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: Reverb: how much is too much?  (Read 2922 times)

September 29, 2012, 04:31:51 PM
I've really been wondering about this issue, because it seems like there's a wide range of opinion about how much reverb is a good amount to use.

When I listen to modern pop songs, they seem to have none at all, or maybe a very small amount.

I try to get as best-sounding a mix as I can without adding any reverb until later in the output bus (unless I think it can be used on one or two tracks for effect). But I've never been totally happy with any reverb plugins, so any recommendations are welcome!  :)
GEAR: 2010 iMac, Roland Quad Capture, Logic Pro 9, Yamaha HS80M speakers, etc.

September 29, 2012, 05:03:38 PM
I really like Valhalla Room, and the ToneBoosters reverb is nice, I use it as an insert on snare sometimes.

Reverb is just a judgement call. Most every mix has some, even the really dry sounding pop stuff. Usually something very short, like a small room ambience. I use longer reverbs on slower material, wider reverbs in sparser mixes, etc.

A lot of it has to do with trends too. Listen to older mixes from the 80's 70's 60's etc. You'll hear quite a range of reverb levels and tones.

September 29, 2012, 05:10:13 PM
Thanks for the reply John. I'm going to look into those recommendations. I'm not a big fan of the Logic Pro reverbs, but maybe I've just not tweaked them right either...

IMO, the 80s saw the most "controversial" range of reverb choices. It all started when gate reverb came into use, i.e. Peter Gabriel III. But on this recording PG uses it for effect (on "Intruder" most notably), he was smart enough not to use it on the whole mix -- unlike some producers later in the 80s who drowned their mixes with it.

EDIT: trying out Valhalla Room now, I like it so far. Easy interface to operate too.  :)

EDIT 2: just noticed the Valhalla reverb is occasionally dropping out! Is this a function of the demo??  ???
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 09:12:19 PM by Duendito »

September 29, 2012, 09:10:09 PM
In my experience - it's not 'how much' you use it's how you blend it with the track. People think there aren't reverbs on records, but the truth is it's blended with track really well. There's o/c style of using reverb to be very noticeable and to sound wet - if you go for that type of effect.

September 29, 2012, 09:13:31 PM
In my experience - it's not 'how much' you use it's how you blend it with the track. People think there aren't reverbs on records, but the truth is it's blended with track really well. There's o/c style of using reverb to be very noticeable and to sound wet - if you go for that type of effect.

Thanks everbeatz, yes that's the approach I was leaning toward, trying to make the reverb work without it being too noticeable, and to give a sense of unified space for all the tracks.

• No avatar
October 04, 2012, 08:45:50 PM
A big +1 for Valhalla Room.  It has rapidly become the only one I use.  I think a lot of mixers these days are using delays, slap or ping pong either instead of or in combination with reverb.  Gives things space without sounding too wet.  I think reverb is like salt on your food.  You notice when it's not there, and you notice when it's too much.  Anything in between is in good taste.

November 06, 2012, 07:49:16 PM
I don't like a lot of reverb plug-ins but Waves have some good ones.
For me a reverb works best if you can barely hear it. After a dozen of listens you go "Hey, what's that there? Wow, that's cool!".
However it does depend on what style it is, what song and what the artist wants want works best for the mix. Sometimes a whole lot works great for a snaredrum or a vocal.

• No avatar
November 15, 2012, 03:55:21 AM
I love reverbs. To the extent that I sometimes put it too much! Especially those from UAD2's line.

To overcome this, after tweaking the reverb sound (send max), I lowered the send to my comfortable level, and then back it off about -3db to -5db.

Though, all you need maybe just simple delays to create a sense of space.

Gabriel

November 15, 2012, 05:27:22 AM
I recently got into Space Designer (Logic Pro) and I have to say it's very nice indeed, seems natural enough, especially after tweaking the presets.

November 15, 2012, 09:59:33 AM
This questions like how long is a peice of string
Use your ears with reverb they wont lie to you

Thanks for the read
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 10:01:18 AM by S1770.©.rooArt »