News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: Mixing with bad headphones: eq on master, and more  (Read 6656 times)

• No avatar
September 20, 2012, 04:01:23 PM
Hi, first of all, sorry by my bad english. I recently began to learn to mix, but while I got the money for buy a good monitors, I've been thinking about how to make my headphone mix is as close as possible to a good flat response monitors..

I've heard that one way would be to equalize the master to correct the coloring of headphones, but how do you know exactly what frequencies tweak?

Also I know that there are plugins designed for mixing with headphones as close as possible to the mix with monitors, I saw a good article on the subject in SOS: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan07/articles/mixingheadphones.htm In this article there is a plug in for mac that works, but the one for PC, which is what interests to me, is obsolete, and I have not found anything like it in more places. Would someone know a plugin about this for pc?

• No avatar
September 20, 2012, 06:18:17 PM
well, my advice.

listen to music to learn how your headphones sound and then start mixing

don't mess up with eq plugins or things like that. they won't really help.

September 21, 2012, 12:20:13 AM
As long as you learn how your headphones sound by playing a lot of commercial mixes through them, then you should be OK.

Attempting to correct your headphones seems like a bad idea.

• No avatar
September 22, 2012, 03:41:52 PM
Try this, It is excellent with Sennheiser HD-280s (one of the phones it was made for)
http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-interfaces/vrm-box
Equipment-Trends Micro amp w/ Paradigm Export speakers ports covered.  Use Fx EQ for  studio room issue fix.  Also use Klipsch S4 & Sennheiser HD-280 phones - home stereo= AMC 3030 tube amp, Triangle Celius 202 speakers & Behringer para EQ for room nodes-laptop=HP 8430 w/Digigram VXPocket & Reaper

• No avatar
September 23, 2012, 06:53:04 AM
Thanks everybody for your advices. That hardware Imispgh posted possibly helps a lot, but my budget is limited and the priority is get me a good monitors. Meanwhile, in principle the biggest problem on mixing with headphones is the bass boost, which I usually try to reduce. To lack of plug ins or softwares for a more accurated balancing, I can simply guide me on that idea..

September 23, 2012, 10:35:08 AM
In  my experience it's very tough to nail a bass/low end level in the mix properly. I'd say use headphones for tweaking nuances and to do critical listening. Unless you have a big experience it's gonna be very hard to do entire mixing on cans. Many of them are very hyped in the low end and that IMO distracts from nailing the midrange right

• No avatar
September 23, 2012, 01:02:13 PM
In  my experience it's very tough to nail a bass/low end level in the mix properly. I'd say use headphones for tweaking nuances and to do critical listening. Unless you have a big experience it's gonna be very hard to do entire mixing on cans. Many of them are very hyped in the low end and that IMO distracts from nailing the midrange right

Agreed - but have your tried the VRM Box? It is pretty amazing.  And I work hard to treat and set up my room correctly
Equipment-Trends Micro amp w/ Paradigm Export speakers ports covered.  Use Fx EQ for  studio room issue fix.  Also use Klipsch S4 & Sennheiser HD-280 phones - home stereo= AMC 3030 tube amp, Triangle Celius 202 speakers & Behringer para EQ for room nodes-laptop=HP 8430 w/Digigram VXPocket & Reaper

• No avatar
September 23, 2012, 01:03:48 PM
Thanks everybody for your advices. That hardware Imispgh posted possibly helps a lot, but my budget is limited and the priority is get me a good monitors. Meanwhile, in principle the biggest problem on mixing with headphones is the bass boost, which I usually try to reduce. To lack of plug ins or softwares for a more accurated balancing, I can simply guide me on that idea..

Good monitors in a room that is not set up or treated properly is a waste of money.  I would suggest the VRM if you are limited on funds.  If you use multiple monitor option from that tool i dod not see you making a bad mix. It's that gpood

• No avatar
September 23, 2012, 01:36:27 PM

Good monitors in a room that is not set up or treated properly is a waste of money.  I would suggest the VRM if you are limited on funds.  If you use multiple monitor option from that tool i dod not see you making a bad mix. It's that gpood

But being hardware it does not convince me, I see nothing in performance which makes it very different from a software to do the same, then why would a hardware? It is the kind of things that make me doubt. VRM may sound great and so on, but honestly I prefer to spend money on a monitors, and later I´ll think in the room and so on, it´s part of the way.. I´m only searching an improvement for my mixes MEANWHILE, for succedaneous I can go on softwares. It´s a pity the plugin for mac on SOS article doesn´t work for pc, for I can see, it´s very similar to what the VRM can do..

• No avatar
September 23, 2012, 01:58:27 PM

But being hardware it does not convince me, I see nothing in performance which makes it very different from a software to do the same, then why would a hardware? It is the kind of things that make me doubt. VRM may sound great and so on, but honestly I prefer to spend money on a monitors, and later I´ll think in the room and so on, it´s part of the way.. I´m only searching an improvement for my mixes MEANWHILE, for succedaneous I can go on softwares. It´s a pity the plugin for mac on SOS article doesn´t work for pc, for I can see, it´s very similar to what the VRM can do..

Have you heard the VRM with headphones it was made for?

Have you measured your room at the listening position? Especially for bass below 300hz?  Also comb filtering reflections are deadly.

I am not suggesting the VRM is the end all be all or that good monitors in a good room are not better.  But I am saying again that the VRM is way more beneficial than a good monitor/room combo and that having the device as a double check after you do get the room/monitors right is also a wise move.

My first hobby was high end stereos.  I have a listening room/system that is very well set up and treated. Believe it or not MOST musicians and studio engineers (especially home engineers) never experience what I am talking about. It's not an issue of intelligence but one of experience.  Follow conventional or popular wisdom on this one and you will be led down the wrong path.