News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: Replacing snare because of hi-hat bleed?  (Read 1565 times)

• No avatar
August 15, 2012, 12:26:09 PM
Do you usually replace (trigger) snares with pre-recorded because of hi-hat bleeding?
Any ideas how to minimize it while mixing?

edit: i found tha gating the snare and adding a little bit reverb helps ;)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 12:58:28 PM by nickl »

August 15, 2012, 04:27:50 PM
Another common approach is to use a de-esser, especially on the drum submix, but can help on just the snare track.

• No avatar
August 15, 2012, 05:44:42 PM
Slate trigger works pretty well.  Just set the threshold so that only the snare hits trigger the replacement snare. 

• No avatar
August 15, 2012, 05:58:03 PM
Also using a gate to convert the snare to midi and then edit it so it's accurate works well too.

August 15, 2012, 07:04:18 PM
If the snare sounds good, you can usually get away with quiet a bid of (hi-hat) bleed. 
I often use some gating (maybe 6-9dB GR) and dynamic EQ. So that only the actual snare hits have a high-mid boost (for example) which keeps the hihat bleed under control. Transient designer instead of compressor could also work to keep the bleeding under control.
I often use a crushed triggered sample just to add sustain because serious NY-compression with bleeding is often not favorable.

September 25, 2012, 12:43:18 AM
I find that gating usually takes care of enough bleed. I personally don't mind a little getting through. EQ can help a bit too, haven't tried a de-esser, makes sense that it'd work too.
GEAR: 2010 iMac, Roland Quad Capture, Logic Pro 9, Yamaha HS80M speakers, etc.