News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: Comparing EQ plug-ins-Am I crazy or what ?  (Read 1130 times)

• No avatar
August 13, 2012, 09:53:18 PM
I was mixing a project for a client and thought that I'd go for something new, a new EQ, maybe something "special" so I thought that I'd trial the UAD-Neve 31102 EQ...goes for something like $249.

After the initial infatuation, I thought that I'd go back and see if I could replicate the great mix that I'd achieved using the $39 DDMF LP10 and yup....man that DDMF LP10 is every bit as good as the 31102....maybe even better, but, at least as good.

This isn't the first time that I've compared various EQ's and have come up with nothin' new and exciting. Seems like it's pretty much a wash with EQ plugs.
Any thoughts ?

August 13, 2012, 11:28:01 PM
I agree to some extent, but I did find the SonEQ free eq from Sonimus to be really nice, something different from my other eq plugs. It has the ability to do very nice saturation, which makes it different right off, but even without that, it does something really nice when boosting the high end, and just sounds very smooth to my ears. I haven't purchased the sweet tone plug, though I'm tempted. But so far, the freebie (ok, donationware) Soneq is perfect for me.

http://sonimus.com/site/page/downloads/

August 14, 2012, 09:17:29 AM
I think the most notable difference in EQ simply are the curves. And since they are different in most plugins, thats why they seem to sound different. But they aren't really, they just do something else. Because +6dB @ 2kHz with 1.5Q in plugin X might do something completely different than in plugin Y.
The whole saturation and phase-stuff sure is nice and can improve the sound further, but it's certainly not the main reason for the "sound" of an EQ.

That being said, I also have my favorites for special tasks, i.e. the 1973 EQ for hi-boost, rEQ for cutting mud and such, but I'm pretty sure that this is mainly because of the way the EQ-curves are designed and fit the task than any saturation or phase alteration. However, I also tried some EQs that I just could not get to sound like anything I'd ever want  ;D

And EQs without graphical display always sound different that the ones with, right?  ;D

If I can't get it right with a "normal" EQ, no super special high end EQ will make it awesome.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 09:20:14 AM by 140dBSPL »