News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: Dangerous D-Box or Not?  (Read 1520 times)

July 29, 2012, 10:10:46 PM
I hope I can get some insight as to whether "Analog Summing" is the way to go or not?
Mix Engineer/ Producer

August 31, 2012, 06:56:22 AM
Ok guys...no need to answer all at once now...lol
Mix Engineer/ Producer

August 31, 2012, 01:45:58 PM
Haha, I've used an external summing box, but didn't find it all that different. If you're using proper gain staging, and making use of some decent console emulation plugs, I think you can get all the benefits, without the headaches of routing to an external suming box. On the other hand, if you have a rack full of great outboard you want to integrate, it might make sense!

August 31, 2012, 03:09:35 PM
Well as I see it, its a personal call rather then a "universal" one.
As I see it it has to do with number 1, experience and number 2, wether if helps your workflow or not!.
With experience and workflow I mean wether you can hear the subtle effect of the distortion and wether it translate to you as a better mix or quicker mixing!.
But If I were you I would get hold of one and try it out, and see if it does anything for you!.
Tho I think 8 channels is probably not enough to get what you want, I think 16 is the least you should sum to have an effect!.

Salvation Army
            bringing music to the people
                       since 1865

November 06, 2012, 07:53:16 PM
I have the D-Box and I absolutely love it. Not only the controls on it and its options, but the AD/DA conversion as well. It's high class and the summing works great for my mixes.
Of course it's not a day and night difference, and it shouldn't. Low-end has more space and the entire spectrum (all 4 dimensions) open up more. Please remember it depends on your speakers and your room on how you perceive the differences because they are subtle. IMO, you can't go wrong with buying a D-Box.