News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: £5k - what would you buy???  (Read 1590 times)

• No avatar
July 17, 2012, 10:40:23 PM
hello, so i'm thinking upgrades!!!!

I have:

A Mac pro 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core / 8GB DDR2 ram
Logic 9 - Drumagog 5 - Melodyne
Motu 24 I/O
TC Powercore X8
Allen and Heath Z420

Mic's: Sm57/58's - SE Gemini / SE1A's - AKG112

Monitors: NS10's - Alesis M1's - Tannoy TS8 Sub.

Sooooooo heres my question. If you had £5k, what would you buy? 1 thing, lots of things. Outboard/plugins. Monitors. I've got a basic idea of what i want, but i though it would be fun to see what you would upgrade and what with.

Thanks for your input

Nick

• No avatar
July 18, 2012, 12:47:44 AM
Enough sound treatment for a great live room to track drums, guitars, and everything else. As well as enough to treat another room for mixing.

• No avatar
July 18, 2012, 10:43:33 AM
Enough sound treatment for a great live room to track drums, guitars, and everything else. As well as enough to treat another room for mixing.

Well funny enough that's exactly my first port of call! Though I already have a fair amount of acoustic panels up (70% of The walls and ceiling covered), there is some 300hz and below issues going on. So more bass traps needed in the corners and tops of the walls. (each room is 24ft - 16ft with sloped ceilings)

But that will leave some buget left to play with. (unless im missing something)

So what next?

July 18, 2012, 11:55:28 AM
So what next?

I guess high quality preamp(s) never hurt. Neve or SPL or whatever you like. And maybe another condenser mic that covers the non-tube end of the spectrum, like a Brauner Phanthera or something. This way you would have a near perfect vocal-chain (minus the singer, as always  ;D) that probably would also work on many acoustic instruments.

Depends on what you wanna do... more mixing or recording?

July 18, 2012, 04:53:09 PM
+1 to preamps; something with "attitude" in a studio is never a bad thing. After trying 1073 on a snare there's no going back! :D Doesn't work on the vocals as well though...
It could also be a compressor, say an LA-2A or 1176 and record (and bounce) everything through them.
I guess an U87 wouldn't hurt either...  ::)

Your computer/software side is good, now you just need some coloration to get music away from the clean "home demo" sound.
"You don't go to a record school to go to courses, you go to record school to record there!"
http://soundcloud.com/spede-1

July 18, 2012, 10:56:48 PM
That's funny, I really like my 1084 clones (same pre as a 1073, but different eq points) on vocals (usually with an RE20)! I also love them on distorted guitars. Snare didn't impress me too much, though.

I'd be asking what your goals are? Are you working with clients, or your own music? Do you want to produce, or mix, or what?

One of these programs would be (just) in your budget:

http://www.mixwiththemasters.com/HOME.html

Of course, I just bought a new macbook pro, which I love. Nothing like being able to do edits and such on the couch, or wherever, then go out to my mix room and hear it on the monitors!

My next purchase will probably be monitors, mine are pretty low-end (though they translate well enough, and I know them, so who knows?)

July 19, 2012, 10:56:05 AM
That's funny, I really like my 1084 clones (same pre as a 1073, but different eq points) on vocals (usually with an RE20)! I also love them on distorted guitars. Snare didn't impress me too much, though.

Allow me once again to stray from topic :D

The most obvious character in the pre (apart from the very distorted hi-shelve EQ) is the aggressive mids it creates especially in the 1-2 kHz region. I must confess that I haven't tried the actual mic pre on vocals but bounced through line section. Usually I end up taking lots of the aforomentioned 1-2 kHz region out of 1073-tracked vocals.

But I guess it could sound pretty cool explicitly on a punk rock situation coupled with a dynamic, never been in a situation like that.

I guess in the end these are again matter of tastes; I have a habit of sucking mids out of vocals and feature them very dark in the mix while getting the snare as cracking as possible (all my snare samples that I use in my mixes here have been distorted with my ACMP-73's).

Apparently they only take as students there who have been working in the industry big time for a while. The only active member I can imagine from this forum who could apply for that would be noeqplease. 
"You don't go to a record school to go to courses, you go to record school to record there!"
http://soundcloud.com/spede-1

July 19, 2012, 06:31:33 PM
Invest in better monitoring and DA converters - I always recommend that as I consider it crucial for the overall improvement

July 20, 2012, 12:14:17 AM

Apparently they only take as students there who have been working in the industry big time for a while. The only active member I can imagine from this forum who could apply for that would be noeqplease. 

I didn't see anything other than a place to link to your work, probably so they can see that you have done something at least passable. I don't think a class like this woud be a good way to spend $$, unless you just had loads of cash sitting around. People who've gone on GS seem to think it was worth it, but I can't imagine anyone admitting that spending $6k or whatever was a waste of money!