News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: I'm at a crossroad. Need opinions.  (Read 4813 times)

• No avatar
July 20, 2012, 11:52:17 PM
After some good feedback, I tore down this mix and started over.  I just posted a revised mix on the original thread.  I'm way happier with this one.  Thanks to those who gave feedback.  If you have a moment...  any better?
This is a good 2nd attempt! I like the clever way in which you surprise the listener by having a quasi-mono intro and then going for the big pan just when verse is about to begin. The two sticking points for me are 1) the drums: cymbals and hi-hat are way too forward (specially that clunking HH) whilst the snare is far back and the kick doesn't quite cut, and 2) while I think panning everything the way you did yields a very transparent stereo mix (I can hear every element very clearly) it feels a little artificial and I think it all wants a gentle touch of reverb to come together.
Very good all in all!
Cheers,
S.M.

• No avatar
July 21, 2012, 05:50:28 AM
After some good feedback, I tore down this mix and started over.  I just posted a revised mix on the original thread.  I'm way happier with this one.  Thanks to those who gave feedback.  If you have a moment...  any better?
This is a good 2nd attempt! I like the clever way in which you surprise the listener by having a quasi-mono intro and then going for the big pan just when verse is about to begin. The two sticking points for me are 1) the drums: cymbals and hi-hat are way too forward (specially that clunking HH) whilst the snare is far back and the kick doesn't quite cut, and 2) while I think panning everything the way you did yields a very transparent stereo mix (I can hear every element very clearly) it feels a little artificial and I think it all wants a gentle touch of reverb to come together.
Very good all in all!
Cheers,
S.M.

Thank you.  Glad to know it's better, not worse.  I'll make some minor adjustments and repost.  I really appreciate your feedback.  EXACTLY what I was hoping for.

• No avatar
July 21, 2012, 09:57:20 AM
Very good all in all!
Cheers,
S.M.

So I brought the kick up some and tried to add some pop to the snare.  I took down the hats and ride mic which softened up some of the crashes as well.  Added a little reverb to the mix for glue as you suggested.  Here's the result:
https://www.box.com/s/733c17639b6ee737b07a
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 12:12:18 AM by Guitar Zero »