News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: Mixbuss compression plug-ins, what do you use?  (Read 3087 times)

• No avatar
June 16, 2012, 01:49:33 PM
EZ Mix 2
Equipment-Trends Micro amp w/ Paradigm Export speakers ports covered.  Use Fx EQ for  studio room issue fix.  Also use Klipsch S4 & Sennheiser HD-280 phones - home stereo= AMC 3030 tube amp, Triangle Celius 202 speakers & Behringer para EQ for room nodes-laptop=HP 8430 w/Digigram VXPocket & Reaper

• No avatar
June 17, 2012, 01:18:32 AM
I'm OTB myself, but if I were to mix ITB and in need of a mixbuss compressor my choice would be the Brainworx VSC-2.

As for the GSSL, it can be a great box if you know what you're doing, especially selecting all the right components surrounding your VCA of choice, calibrating the unit, fixing the hum inherent in the design, improving the signal path, add the turbo board (otherwise it doesn't work properly on most signals). In fact, build one of the newer upgraded versions where all of this has been taken care of, there are at least a couple availible at Groupdiy. It will cost a little more, but it will save a lot of time and guarantee a better outcome.

June 17, 2012, 06:35:32 AM
Picked up SKNotes's Stripbus, I have to say, I really like it! Takes some getting used, I'm going back and 'retro-fitting' mixes with it, and ding that I need to make some adjustments, but I like the way ti ties things together. The mixbuss compressors sound good to my ears, put a tape emulation plug after it and it sounds very smooth.

I think inserting it before I start really getting into a mix might be easier, tough it does something really nice. The ability to set up some slight ducking is great too, I'm using it primarily to duck the snare when the vocals are going, just a bit, which lets me sit the vocals down just a smidge lower in the mix.

Totally worth $29!