News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: Mixbuss compression plug-ins, what do you use?  (Read 2884 times)

June 11, 2012, 08:31:51 PM
I've been using the stock cubase compressor plug-in, which works pretty well, though it doesn't add any color.

I've been considering 'The Glue' and I tried Vintage Warmer at friends place which I liked a lot, it seemed subtle, but using it for compression, with the tape emulation, and the output limiter, gave some nice cohesion to the mix.

What are you using, what have you tried?

• No avatar
June 11, 2012, 08:43:24 PM
Hello from Brazil!

I tried several things a lot those past two years... I'm getting the best results with a Fatso from UAD as the mix bus compressor - I use the Tranny Function, The Warmth (a little bit) and the compressor Buss, just to get 1 or 2dB at most... Everything very slow... attack and release...
Sometimes I use after the Fatso a C1 Compressor Side Chain... I use Low Reference for Threshold and a below one ratio, like 0,95 - 0,92 to pump it a little bit... I use the Makeup Gain to put the non low stuff back again, in case it's pumping to much...

This way I can compress, and then uncompress... But with everything under control...
Of course, it depends so much at the style of the music that I'm mixing...
The Kramer Tape is the final one... But I just try some presets, If it's not working I turn it off...

It's important to notice the overall level of the mix... My mixes are always between -20dB and -15dB RMS ... With that you have room to use some stuff in the Mix Bus that will color it more... My felling...

Hope that my answer really helps everyone...

Best Regards!

Nicolas
Nicolas Rossi
Mixing Engineer
Limeira, São Paulo, Brazil
(www.studioatmosphera.com.br)

June 11, 2012, 10:10:15 PM
What Ive found is that I dont like any Plug in compressors on the mixbuss.
So my chain at the moment for Heavy or Rock is VCC - DUY Valve - Devil Loc - Inflator
And if its more folk or mellow than its VCC - DUY Valve - Inflator

Salvation Army
            bringing music to the people
                       since 1865

June 11, 2012, 10:58:21 PM
VCC, that's the steven slate console? What do you think of it?

I was looking at sonimus satson and the SKNote thing, too. Do you think it makes a big difference, have you tried either of those options?

I go back and forth a bit on mixbuss stuff. Sometimes I put a tape sim on there, usually some compression.

I think it works well to mix into it, but I haven't found the mixbuss compressor that I love, either.

June 12, 2012, 12:14:06 AM
I really like the Digital Fishfones Blockfish, or the PSP VW on the drum bus, when I'm working from loops and samples, or lo-fi drum submixes (like from my Zoom H2).

While I had fun for a short while with multi-band compression, I eventually concluded that I just don't like compressors on the two-mix.

I'd rather use compression on individual tracks to taste, and run the mixdown thru a transparent limiter (I use the one in CEP 2.1) to gain a few dBu in level.

June 12, 2012, 12:59:42 AM
I've personally been a happy user of Waves' SSL bus compressor with auto-release, 4:1 ratio, mostly 30ms attack, occasionally 10ms
if want slightly more aggressive sound. Lately I've been using more and more bus compression, sometimes over 8 dBs :D (though the
ratio will more likely be 2:1 in those cases). I'm relying on it more and more as one of those "to go" tools and it's having bigger role
as a part of creating my sound in mixes. I'm seriously considering building a hardware clone version.

Sometimes there's a small hint of tape saturation after the compressor.

Also, lately I've been using more master EQ, especially with boosting high frequencies, instead of applying it to individual tracks.

I don't use brickwall limiters because they suck ;D. IMO something like Waves L3 is an easy way to give a mix this "made in home"
-type of feeling. I clip the audio with a non floating-point plugin before dithering.
"You don't go to a record school to go to courses, you go to record school to record there!"
http://soundcloud.com/spede-1

June 12, 2012, 03:16:22 AM
I go back and forth on master buss eq. It gives a nice 'glued together' kinda of sound, and I agree it can be better if you want an overall highend lift. I started another thread about sonimus' soneq, which is free, and a really nice tool for high end boosts, very smooth, I find. I've only used it for a few days, but so far, I like what it can do a lot!

I've thought about building the GSSL clone, too...

• No avatar
June 12, 2012, 07:32:01 AM
I've thought about building the GSSL clone, too...
Do it bro. I can get to where I need to go (sorta) with ITB compressors on a track by track basis, or parallel compressing or what have you, but the mix bus is somewhere plugin compressors just don't cut it for me at all. That, and vocal comp/limiting, but I digress.

I think I spent about $500 on my SSL clone. It's a suble box if you want it to be, or grabby as shit if you want that too. It also sounds REALLY cool on piano, drum bus, vocals, etc... A must have piece IMO.

June 12, 2012, 09:19:48 AM
VCC, that's the steven slate console? What do you think of it?

I was looking at sonimus satson and the SKNote thing, too. Do you think it makes a big difference, have you tried either of those options?

I go back and forth a bit on mixbuss stuff. Sometimes I put a tape sim on there, usually some compression.

I think it works well to mix into it, but I haven't found the mixbuss compressor that I love, either.

Hey John
I LOVE VCC but there is a trick to it!. That I think must people overlook!.
And that is finding the sweet spot in the calibration!, It defaults to -18, but depending on your gain staging you might need to increase it or lessen it.
Im ussually between -20.4 to -22.9ish but when you hit the sweet spot. Its like wow! its just opens up the mix transients gets sweet and the low end just tightens up.
So yes it makes a big difference, if you like what it does.

I havent tryed the others you mentioned, as VCC/DUY Valve combo does it for me!.

Salvation Army
            bringing music to the people
                       since 1865

June 12, 2012, 02:14:46 PM
2 very good plugins that i use a lot on the master bus are the TapeHead Saturator and L2007 Mastering Limiter from  www.masseyplugins.com
the demo versions are free and unlimited (they reset each time you close your session)
the limiter is honestly the best one that i'v heard...
they only work for protools
protools 7.1 le,  mac G4/1.25 GHz dual processor , denon ah-d2000 and sony mdr 7506 headphones , waves Renaissance bundle