News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: New guy from Philly here  (Read 1837 times)

• No avatar
June 11, 2012, 04:18:40 PM
Hey everyone,

I'm a hobbyist and former freelance AE. I got my start in the mid to late 90's, did the audio production school thing (Recording Workshop) and paid some dues as an intern. After about 5 years of being broke I sucked it up and got a "real" job (non-audio related). So, over time I've invested in some decent gear and still do the engineering thing on the side. Sometimes for money, but mostly as an outlet and for the fun of it.

I look forward to becoming part of the community here!

Word,
-Dan

June 11, 2012, 08:21:39 PM
Welcome, have fun!

I saw you have an SSL4k compressor copy, did you build it yourself? I was thinking about putting one together, maybe... ;)

• No avatar
June 12, 2012, 06:33:40 AM
Yup I built mine, check out GroupDIY if you haven't already. The unit I built was by a guy named Ruckus on that forum. Dude really knows his stuff. He took the GSSL project and combined all the popular mods onto one PCB. Sidechain Hi Pass filters and 2 "tilt" filters (which are kick ass for drum bus). Switchable stereo/mono detector circuit (the original SSL is stereo, but the GSSL was mono summed). Maybe some other features too, but I can't recall. It sounds killer though!

June 12, 2012, 02:40:39 PM
Cool, I'll check that out. I'm a member at GroupDIY, but haven't been over there lately,since I haven't been doing too much hardware stuff lately. I found it when trying to rackmount my PM1000 channels strips, great place!

I thought I remembered someone talking about doing some stuff to the sidechain, that sounds like a good variation on the GSSL!