News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: VRM Box - amazing device  (Read 3172 times)

May 11, 2012, 08:04:08 PM
I think saying it is gimmicky is unfair.  Maybe the software updates made it better since u tried it?  I admit I am not a fan of the room and bedroom sim parts but the studio sims are excellent.  A lot of it depends on your headphones. only certain ones were used to make the app. For the price it is far better than even average monitors in a bad room

Yeah, one guys gimmick is anothers invaluable too for sure.

I haven't updated the software, in fact I don't even know if there's any update I could get. I have Sennheiser HD250 Linear II's as my studio headphones ...( http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr02/articles/sennheiserhd250.asp ) so they shouldn't be far off the target headphones they had in mind.

I'd be insterested to know how you use it ?  Do you mix through it or use it as a check after you've finished mixing ?

CD

We never finish a mix - We simply abandon them.  Adam A7's , Focusrite Pro24 DSP, Focusrite LiquidMix, Presonus FaderPort, Sennheiser HD250 Linear II

• No avatar
May 11, 2012, 08:18:01 PM
I use it with my monitors.

I have a tuned room but think the tool in the monitor mode is very useful.  If I didn't have a tuned room or great monitors I would mix with it as my primary option.

I like the Adam S2.5A the best but move around.
Equipment-Trends Micro amp w/ Paradigm Export speakers ports covered.  Use Fx EQ for  studio room issue fix.  Also use Klipsch S4 & Sennheiser HD-280 phones - home stereo= AMC 3030 tube amp, Triangle Celius 202 speakers & Behringer para EQ for room nodes-laptop=HP 8430 w/Digigram VXPocket & Reaper

May 11, 2012, 08:43:43 PM
I've just listened to a few more songs with it on, because it's been a while.

I find on almost all the models the bass is just way to overblown...if I were to EQ the bottom end of the track to what I'm hearing via VRM it would be way off...and I'm talking about commercial mixes here too, so those should sound correct.

The only model I could bear the bass on was the Auratone !  Which obviously has no bass...lol  :o

I also find it has an artificial / grainy sound ...hard to describe..mind you the one in the Pro24 runs on it's own DSP, whereas I read the VRM solo box uses the PC's own processor. Maybe it's running a more detailed model ?

It's not quite as bad if I use the virtual listening position that's a bit further back, but then I find you get more of the room sound which increases the perception of it being artificial. I especially find it's makes the vocals sound like they've been put through a cheap reverb, particularly on more acoustic tracks and speech is not nice at all.

Not sure I could trust anything it's telling me when I try the different models, even good commercial tracks sound 'wrong' on it to me like there's a veil over them.

Well at least you got me to give it another try. I might play with the Auratone model when I can't have have the Avantone blaring at night.

Make s me wonder how different it is to the solo VRM box, it got a really good review at Sound on Sound.

CD
We never finish a mix - We simply abandon them.  Adam A7's , Focusrite Pro24 DSP, Focusrite LiquidMix, Presonus FaderPort, Sennheiser HD250 Linear II

• No avatar
May 11, 2012, 08:55:11 PM
hmmmmmmm

Well I would hate to see you get the box and latest Sw and be disappointed. Maybe ask them if there is a bug difference now?

I have a high end stereo system in another tuned room and am pretty particular and lean toward a live sound. The HD-280s are not in the same league at all but I find the tool very useful and not bass heavy on most of the models. (But that could be the HD-280 isn't pumped up down there?)
Equipment-Trends Micro amp w/ Paradigm Export speakers ports covered.  Use Fx EQ for  studio room issue fix.  Also use Klipsch S4 & Sennheiser HD-280 phones - home stereo= AMC 3030 tube amp, Triangle Celius 202 speakers & Behringer para EQ for room nodes-laptop=HP 8430 w/Digigram VXPocket & Reaper

September 25, 2012, 12:47:28 AM
Besides my Yamaha HS80M monitors (which are great), I'm using the Sennheiser HD280 headphones and VRM Box, actually on your suggestion, and I'm not disappointed, it has actually helped me learn better how to interpret the sound from my HS80Ms.
GEAR: 2010 iMac, Roland Quad Capture, Logic Pro 9, Yamaha HS80M speakers, etc.

• No avatar
September 25, 2012, 12:54:14 AM
Besides my Yamaha HS80M monitors (which are great), I'm using the Sennheiser HD280 headphones and VRM Box, actually on your suggestion, and I'm not disappointed, it has actually helped me learn better how to interpret the sound from my HS80Ms.

Excellent

Again - I am not suggesting this device is the end all and be all. But it is a excellent tool to have in ones arsenal. And IF they cannot afford good monitors and to treat a room it might be the wiser purchase.

November 16, 2012, 05:54:21 PM

Excellent

Again - I am not suggesting this device is the end all and be all. But it is a excellent tool to have in ones arsenal. And IF they cannot afford good monitors and to treat a room it might be the wiser purchase.

At $100 Canadian for the VRM Box, and $110 for the HD280 headphones, it was a small price to pay for such increased options in building a mix!!
GEAR: 2010 iMac, Roland Quad Capture, Logic Pro 9, Yamaha HS80M speakers, etc.