News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: VRM Box - amazing device  (Read 3687 times)

• No avatar
April 21, 2012, 03:40:52 PM
I just got this thing. Using my Sennheiser HD-280s it is AMAZING especially for the money.

It allows you to use headphones to simulate a range of speakers/monitors in different rooms/settings.

http://www.focusrite.com/products/audio_interfaces/vrm_box/
Equipment-Trends Micro amp w/ Paradigm Export speakers ports covered.  Use Fx EQ for  studio room issue fix.  Also use Klipsch S4 & Sennheiser HD-280 phones - home stereo= AMC 3030 tube amp, Triangle Celius 202 speakers & Behringer para EQ for room nodes-laptop=HP 8430 w/Digigram VXPocket & Reaper

April 21, 2012, 04:05:02 PM
looks very interesting! would be perfect for me since i dont have any real monitors,
to bad my computer is to old and is not supported  ::) *OS X 10.5 Leopard (Intel only), OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard* still using os 10.4
protools 7.1 le,  mac G4/1.25 GHz dual processor , denon ah-d2000 and sony mdr 7506 headphones , waves Renaissance bundle

• No avatar
April 21, 2012, 04:08:52 PM
I just saw from their site that the device was made for certain headphones like the Sennheiser HD-280s. That explains why it sounds so good to me even though those phones drop off on the extremes when not using the device.  I think the device is way more valuable that actually using one of the excellent monitors it simulates in a poorly treated room.
Equipment-Trends Micro amp w/ Paradigm Export speakers ports covered.  Use Fx EQ for  studio room issue fix.  Also use Klipsch S4 & Sennheiser HD-280 phones - home stereo= AMC 3030 tube amp, Triangle Celius 202 speakers & Behringer para EQ for room nodes-laptop=HP 8430 w/Digigram VXPocket & Reaper

April 22, 2012, 05:31:38 AM
I've read about this, but haven't tried it. Looking forward to your experiences with it, especially how well the mixes translate. I have mixed in phones using a crosstalk/delay circuit with good results, I'm not a doubter, but have read mixed opinions of the VRM. Of course, most of those are reviews by people with lots of money invested in room treatment and monitors. It'd be very hard for them to feel that a $99 box makes their investment obsolete!

• No avatar
April 22, 2012, 12:52:41 PM
I've read about this, but haven't tried it. Looking forward to your experiences with it, especially how well the mixes translate. I have mixed in phones using a crosstalk/delay circuit with good results, I'm not a doubter, but have read mixed opinions of the VRM. Of course, most of those are reviews by people with lots of money invested in room treatment and monitors. It'd be very hard for them to feel that a $99 box makes their investment obsolete!

I agree and think that is the point. It cannot replace good monitors in a proper room. But like you said their are a lot of people who cannot or do not treat their rooms right.  Having said that you would have to add a couple different monitors, Avantone, Yamaha HS50M, computer and TV speakers etc and be able to listen in near, mid and farfield as well as in different rooms etc to make up for the variety this thing gives you. (I think the devices realism trails off as it simulates distances and various rooms.  Most bedrooms and living rooms sound more live to me than what the device portrays. But that may just be my opinion). Given all of this and how cheap it is I truly think that not having it, at least as a 2nd tier set of options, is somewhat foolish. If you use one of the headphones it was made for and create something that sounds good on several of the monitor choices I really can't see how you can make a bad mix.

April 23, 2012, 08:38:55 AM
I just saw from their site that the device was made for certain headphones like the Sennheiser HD-280s. That explains why it sounds so good to me even though those phones drop off on the extremes when not using the device.  I think the device is way more valuable that actually using one of the excellent monitors it simulates in a poorly treated room.

Where is this list at? I just went looking & could not find any info on the headphones to use with it.... :(
"Why do we learn things?"

"We learn things so we can forget them, so that we can move on to the next thing."

April 23, 2012, 08:14:36 PM

Where is this list at? I just went looking & could not find any info on the headphones to use with it.... :(

The only thing I saw was this: http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/article.php?id=1134

• No avatar

May 10, 2012, 11:22:20 PM
I have the Focusrite Pro 24 DSP that has this built in and to be honest I used it a few times and thought it was pretty gimmicky and I haven't used it since.

Wish I'd gone for the plain vanilla Pro24 now as I don't like the 'comfort reverb' built into it either, it's quite poor and you can't adjust it. So I haven't ended up using either of the extra features I thought I would.

That was a couple of years ago, and I've treated, measured, and tweaked my room since then using a measurement mic , Room EQ Wizard and some help from the acoustics guys on Gearslutz.

My favourite thing I recently got is a Avantone Mixcube..that shines a whole different light on your mix. Sometimes it's really surprising what it reveals.  One of the strange things is how you can make fader moves on it that sound quite obvious, but are virtually undetectable on the bigger monitors.

CD
We never finish a mix - We simply abandon them.  Adam A7's , Focusrite Pro24 DSP, Focusrite LiquidMix, Presonus FaderPort, Sennheiser HD250 Linear II

• No avatar
May 11, 2012, 01:50:16 AM
I think saying it is gimmicky is unfair.  Maybe the software updates made it better since u tried it?  I admit I am not a fan of the room and bedroom sim parts but the studio sims are excellent.  A lot of it depends on your headphones. only certain ones were used to make the app. For the price it is far better than even average monitors in a bad room