News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: First Microphones?  (Read 1063 times)

• No avatar
April 08, 2012, 02:09:02 PM
Hey,

Im looking to get some microphones, i recently used 2 rode nt1 microphones to record vocals and acoustic guitar, they worked well however i wondered what people would suggest i buy?

Looking for something that will do vocals and acoustic guitar

Thanks

April 08, 2012, 02:47:42 PM
There are so many options, it's hard to narrow it down!

In my experience, if you're working with a DAW (rather than a console and tape,) ribbons, and dynamic mics, as well as tube condensers all work really nicely. The cheaper condensers out there tend to be pretty bright, which can be hard to tame in a DAW.

Basically, if you use a mic that has a smooth, unhyped high end, you can add some high shelf during mixing to add 'air' without it getting harsh. if you use a hyped condenser, and find you have to attenuate the highs, you lose the 'air' and get a duller sound overall.

Hope that makes sense, there's a good section about this idea in 'Mixing with your Mind.'

Having said all that, I have a pair of GT44 tube SDC mics that I really like on acoustic guitar, and some vocalists. There's no mic that I'd recommend for all vocalists, though, it really depends on your voice!

• No avatar
April 08, 2012, 02:59:39 PM
I am using Logic Pro 9 with a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 interface and Wharfdale 8.1 diamond series monitors

April 08, 2012, 05:18:55 PM
I'd look into some of the tube mics out there, I've heard good things about the MXL tube mics (I have a v63m which works well on certain vocalists, but isn't a tube mic.) What's your budget?

If there is a studio in your area that has a good mic collection, you might book a few hours to try some different ones out. Be careful which preamp you use, though, an SM57 can sound great on acoustic guitar and vocals with the right preamp (and voice!) I've found that the preamp can make a huge difference in how a mic sounds. You might find a mic that sounds great through a 1073 style preamp, but not too great through the saffire. Not that the Saffire pre's are bad, just a lot different from a 1073, or API etc.

It's just about experimenting, listening, trying different mics. If you can book a studio, or borrow mics from friends, etc, you'll quickly get a feel for what works for you.