News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: Suggestion for Mixoff Guidelines  (Read 1906 times)

• No avatar
February 27, 2011, 01:02:26 PM
Mixing a tune is all very well & good, but since most are here to learn & improve, I get the feeling that most people want feedback on their mixes... They wanna know if it's any good, great or completely hopeless, & if so why?,  how can they improve?
What I'd suggest is that a condition of posting a mix should be that you give a critique of at least one of the previous mixes.  
This is truly a win-win situation... Critiquing other's mixes is a great way to develop your "golden ears", & getting critical appraisal of your own mixes is one of the best ways to improve.  
I can say this authoratively, because for the past 3 or 4 years I have regularly critiqued mixes on "Bash This Recording" over at recordingreview.com.  In total I reckon I would have critiqued probably 2000+ mixes in that time, & it has been the best possible learning experience for me (outside of actually working in a professional recording studio, of course).
This is really a "pay it forward" situation - when it's done right, it breeds an atmosphere of respect & mutual helpfulness... It works fantastically over at Recordingreview.com, & one or two other sites have it happening as well.
I'd really strongly recommend this kind of initiative... it will save the site from becoming just another "look how much super-expensive gear I've got", & "look how great I am" sites that are unhelpful & just plain elitist. (...say no more!)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 01:08:04 AM by fHumble fHingaz »

• No avatar
February 28, 2011, 01:12:55 AM
I totally agree.

March 01, 2011, 12:16:44 AM
This would be a honor-system type thing?

I think it's a very good idea, I'll add it to the 'Welcome' message, and check out how recordingreview.com handles it.

Thanks!

• No avatar
March 01, 2011, 12:37:39 AM
This would be a honor-system type thing?

I think it's a very good idea, I'll add it to the 'Welcome' message, and check out how recordingreview.com handles it.

Thanks!

Cool...John, here's the link to the message @ RR: 
http://forum.recordingreview.com/f11/review-tune-two-before-posting-7952/

"Bash This Recording" is a different situation to "Mixoff" because it is a peer review type situation where people put their own mixes up for critique to hopefully improve, but  I think the same basic principle applies in terms of the net result & the quality of the discourse on the site.

March 11, 2011, 09:00:28 AM
Bumping this for importance. Couldn't we abuse the karma system to 'enforce' this? I really think this is essential to the succes of the site...
I'm cleaning up my server, but you can find some of the mixes I did on this forum here: http://soundcloud.com/stefhartog

March 11, 2011, 03:12:52 PM
Couldnt agree more with this!
tho im off at the moment and cant listen, I´ll give feedback when im back home again sunday!.

Salvation Army
            bringing music to the people
                       since 1865

March 11, 2011, 03:18:34 PM
I don't see anything wrong with using the Karma system, but I'm not sure how it would be enforced.

I think this is just going to be a culture thing. If everyone takes the time to listen and comment on others' mixes, I think people will continue to do so.

I will make a note in the posting guidelines, and see what else I can come up with. But as far as a 'rule', I don't see a way to do it, other than 'guilting' people "Hey, we ask that you critique a few mixes before posting your won mix, thanks!"

March 13, 2011, 04:22:31 AM
Great post fHumble fFhingaz!  I think we can all agree that peer feedback is probably one of the most important tools that a forum like this has, and another thing that might not want to be in the guidelines but is something that people might want to mention here or there is commenting on the quality of the tracking itself.  I don't know, I just think if people are respectful about it I think it could help the poster out as well as the people mixing it. If I posted some tracks I would want people to tell me if I really screwed it up or nailed it (ha, probably the first one in my case).

I agree with fHumble, if you want to see how a successful forum that really embraces mutual respect and encourages learning and all that good stuff is run, head over to recordingreview.com (fHumble was the one who introduced me to this site, great idea by the way, there's usually a part of the larger forums that has something slightly resembling this but I haven't come across a site that's solely dedicated to this).  The "Mix This" on recordingreview is kind of similar to this site, there have only been maybe 10 of those type of events that I know of, but I believe one of the rules is you have to give feedback of some substance.  Here's a link to the guidelines section of Mix This: http://forum.recordingreview.com/f121/how-works-32439/ if there's anything in there that you haven't though about (but you seem to have it pretty well done in the guidelines)

Since this is my first post here, I want to mention that I'm not just spamming for that site if it looks like that.  Oh, and by the way, Johnsuitcase, are you okay with people not doing mixes of the track in a thread, but giving feedback on other people's mixes/tracking without posting their own mix?

March 13, 2011, 03:42:16 PM
Anyone is free to give creative, constructive feedback, regardless of whether they have a mix that's post-worthy!

I'm going to update the little 'Welcome' box with a request that people review other's mixes before posting. Hopefully this will be adequate!