News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: External Summing - Strategies, routing, how do you do it?  (Read 1020 times)

December 27, 2011, 05:52:02 PM
I have experimented with external summing a couple of times, but I find that the way I tend to group things doesn't mesh well with external summing.

How do you do it, those of you who use such things?

I typically have busses set up ITB for drums, guitars, bass, vocals, and effects, then I have all those busses routed into a master buss, with some compression, etc. I'd like to integrate my 1084 clones on the master buss, just for a little extra vibe, but I'm thinking just inserting them on the master buss may be the better option, rather than using my external summing buss (home-built, (24x2, 8 stereo busses and 8 mono channels)!)

How do you make external summing work with your workflow?

• No avatar
November 11, 2014, 11:44:40 AM
I did not know about it, me too. Read Ee enough sense to get a new one immediately.

November 26, 2014, 08:25:41 PM
I dont have much summing. Only 6 channels on my little broadcast line mixer. But what Im doing ITB is I route all my drums, bazz and perc to my Drums N Bazz buss, same for all gtrs they go to the Gtrs buss, same for Keys N strings they go to the Keys N Strings buss, same with vocals they go to the Vox buss.
Output wise 1-2 out is Drums N Bazz, 3-4 is both Gtrs and keys N Strings and 5-6 is Vox. Reverbs get bussed to the appropriate buss where they are used. Like drum verb goes on the Drums N Bazz buss so on and so forth.
All this than comes back in on a Stereo Aux I call Analog Return here I have my 2 buss processing this gets bussed to an Audio Track thats in input mode to I can hear the 2 buss processing from the Stereo Aux and I can record the mix on it.
Pretty simple really... I hope I explained it in a way that makes sense....  :P
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 08:27:24 PM by MortenRa »

Salvation Army
            bringing music to the people
                       since 1865

• No avatar
November 27, 2014, 07:25:52 AM
I do not think of it before it can get to be like this. I was intrigued, so I'm up here. It is really good to know

November 29, 2014, 09:48:43 PM
16 channels of summing on a Greiner Sum.mation here=)
1-4 is always drums, but it kinda varies what goes out to them. Sometimes it's kick at 1, snare at 2, overheads and toms on 3-4..other times it's whole kit on 1-2 and parallel comp on 3-4
Bass is always 5
LVox is always 6
7-14 is..who knows what..might be synths, might be guitars and backing..it all depends =)
15-16 is FX =)
The summing box and compressors are hooked up to a patchbay, so no compressor is on a set channel - i might even use plugs instead of hardware..all depending on song and mood, and that's also the only times i use busses for anything inside pro tools - stuff is usually just outputed to whatever channel i wanna use on the summer;)
The Greiner also uses vca's to adjust lvls, and they are digitally controlled so i can automate them post any hw compressor i patch in=)