News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: Mix Offs Gone Wild!!!  (Read 1953 times)

February 27, 2011, 11:02:38 AM
A Mix Offs Gone Wild / Collaboration section could be fun way to create and move a song in many directions.
        (it would also bring musicians to your site that may not be interested in mixing, resulting in more mix offs and more members)

Example... Some one could up load the stems to a solid Drum track, Guitar track or even a partial multi-track etc.. & the mixoff.org community
could load the stems into their own DAW & add their own Track or tracks. Then up load their new add-on stems & add to the post.  

As a musician, It would be fun to collaborate!!!

As a Mix Engineer, Imagine having 10 guitarist to choose from, all with their own style!  It would be fun to pick and
choose from many in time tracks and see were you could take the mix. The mixing variations could be very interesting and endless.

Billy Collins.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 11:12:11 AM by RealMusician »

February 27, 2011, 05:15:23 PM
I agree. This would be a great idea. If this happens I'll be sure to upload a drum track.

February 27, 2011, 05:25:43 PM
The only thing is is there would have to be some sort of organization. I'm thinking every thread could be labeled: BPM - Scale - (Maybe Genre but that would kind of defeat the point of this.)

Ex. 109 BPM - A Minor - Rock MOGW

• No avatar
February 28, 2011, 10:21:52 AM
A Mix Offs Gone Wild / Collaboration section could be fun way to create and move a song in many directions.
        (it would also bring musicians to your site that may not be interested in mixing, resulting in more mix offs and more members)

Example... Some one could up load the stems to a solid Drum track, Guitar track or even a partial multi-track etc.. & the mixoff.org community
could load the stems into their own DAW & add their own Track or tracks. Then up load their new add-on stems & add to the post.  

As a musician, It would be fun to collaborate!!!

As a Mix Engineer, Imagine having 10 guitarist to choose from, all with their own style!  It would be fun to pick and
choose from many in time tracks and see were you could take the mix. The mixing variations could be very interesting and endless.

Billy Collins.

Fabulous idea.  I think this would be great. +1000000000000

February 28, 2011, 09:56:18 PM
Agreed, totally agreed!

Cubase V5 with Yamaha N12

March 01, 2011, 12:12:36 AM
Do you guys think we should create a board for this collaborative thing, like it's own subcategory?

I'm not sure whether we could create a central repository for the tracks, unless the original thread-start wants to 'curate' the project somewhere? So that anyone contributing tracks would send them to the curator, who would add then to the main project folder?

March 01, 2011, 02:54:33 AM
The way I was originally thinking it would work:

1. The OP would post their track(s), and decide the BPM and the scale.
2. Everyone else would post their tracks in separate posts. Multiple guitar/bass/synth/whatever tracks would be accepted on each thread.
3. Once enough tracks are posted to allow creative composition, mixing would start.
4. People would download the tracks that they want to use in the composition and mix the song like normal.

Benefits
It would be a very easy thread to post in like any other thread. Some would upload tracks while others are submitting mixes.

Drawbacks
The thread would get messy and disorganized. There would be posts of tracks scattered within all of the mixes. When people are looking for the tracks to download, the would see all of the mixes and would have to filter though all of the pages in order to even begin to start mixing.

The other way the board could work is:

1. The OP would post their track(s), and decide the BPM and the scale. The OP would also state whether he would like to be contacted via Mixoff.org PMs or E-Mail
2. People would send their tracks (or links to their tracks (dropbox etc.)) to the OP according to his preferred contact info.
3. The OP would link the tracks in the first post making it easy to find the tracks to download.
4. Once enough tracks are sent to the OP to allow creative composition, mixing would start.
5. People would download the tracks that they want to use in the composition and mix the song like normal.

Benefits
It would be tidy and organized. The only posts in the thread would be mixes. Just like it is with a normal song. The tracks would be right there for any person to get right on to the mixing.

Drawbacks
The OP would have a big responsibility to continue to check his PMs, post the links, and such. If the OP no longer uses the forum, the thread would die quickly. So really, this way is very dependent on the OP.

In reality, neither one or the other has to be used exclusively. It could be stated in the OP's post whether he will maintain the thread or whether people will just add their tracks to the thread themselves.

Also, yes I think there should be a specific board for these types of mixes. They don't need to be organized by genre. Just one board named "Mixoffs Gone Wild" or "Collaboration Mixoffs" would suffice.

Even though it may be quite complicated, I would create a board and see what happens. It could be a total disaster or lead to the most fun forum known to man.

March 01, 2011, 03:05:22 AM
Those sound like good ideas.

So, create a new board for the mix-offs gone wild area..

Then, the OP will agree to curate via link updates, or not.

Seems simple enough to me, I'll start it up, and send out an update about it, as well!

March 01, 2011, 06:24:38 AM
Exactly what i had in mind, keep it simple & see what happens. A new board, no need to organized by genre, & optional curating  :)

Even on a un-curated post, It shouldn't be an issue seeking out the tracks. If a link is posted to a drop box mp3 or sound cloud etc. its most likely a mix, A zip file or hosting web site & its more than likely usable tracks.

Glad to see interest in the idea!!!  I am looking forward to it John,

Billy Collins.

March 02, 2011, 04:33:19 AM
I created a new collaborative board, give it a look and see what you think. I tried to make the instructions simple, go ahead and see if they make sense, etc.

http://mixoff.org/index.php/board,20.0.html

Thanks!