News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: Which monitors?  (Read 3751 times)

• No avatar
October 31, 2011, 12:06:40 PM
Hey,

Im looking to get my first pair of studio monitors, only want to spend around £300 and have been recommend the 2 below, which would you go for out of these? and are there any others i should know of in this price range that are good.

KRK Rokit 5 or 6 & Yamaha Hs 50m

Thanks

November 10, 2011, 09:26:34 AM
Got both of them down in our studio. Have to say..... The Yamaha HS50's are the one i love the most =)
The KRK's are too muddy for my ears =/

December 27, 2011, 10:01:17 AM
Hard choice allways, monitors .... i'd spend abit more. I know this could be a problem. BUT you end (as me) in changing your Monitors as soon as you progress with your skills. You want to hear better, clearer, more definied in every region.
I hade EVENT 20/20bas, HS80/SW10, SAMSON Rubicon R6a, NS10m ... within 12 years or so. Today i was looking for the same as you ... a nice trio to fit my small table and room, ended @ MSP5 + SW10. I love them and i feel much better as with the HS serie.

Go with the HS50, think about the SW10 (if you want a nice, rich body which you dont have outa the 5" satellites) and be prepared to exchange them in some month, max in a year ;)

I think personaly, every pair of Monitors is great if you know them. But you can have a lot more fun and easy going/less compromise with well spend money on a better, accurater pair.

• No avatar
December 28, 2011, 08:58:52 PM
Make sure to treat the room.  A better treated room and so-so monitors is better than great monitors in an untreated room.

Tackle all first order reflections including the ceiling, behind you and surfaces between you and the monitors. Measure the sub 300hz performance and treat the big nodes. You can have huge 10-15db issues.  Room treatment is best but large and expensive, Next you can use a DSP or a reverse EQ on your Master out - just remember to turn it off when rendering.
Equipment-Trends Micro amp w/ Paradigm Export speakers ports covered.  Use Fx EQ for  studio room issue fix.  Also use Klipsch S4 & Sennheiser HD-280 phones - home stereo= AMC 3030 tube amp, Triangle Celius 202 speakers & Behringer para EQ for room nodes-laptop=HP 8430 w/Digigram VXPocket & Reaper

January 28, 2012, 09:40:12 AM
I've been using the KRK RP5's for a good year and a bit now.  They're "cheap" but they're great for what I'm doing right now.  Awesome "ballpark" monitors as it were.  My college studio is a ridiculously high-end SSL setup with everything from Tannoy to Neumann monitors, and  my home mixes translate very well 90% of the time (bar some minor details of course).  imispgh is absolutely right- acoustic treatment is pretty much paramount.  If you only want to spend about 300 quid, do it.  Get something like the RP5/HS50/whatever, make sure your room is tight, you'll be able to get pro-quality mixes out of it.  At the end of the day it comes down to your own ability though, of course!   ;)

(and of course, I'm not saying there's no justification for shelling out some extra cash!  I'll be upgrading from my RP5s fairly soon I'd imagine.  But if you're on a budget and it's your first set, you can get awesome mileage out of something like them.  ANYWAY I'M OUTTA HERE)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 09:42:07 AM by Darkandtwisted »

February 21, 2012, 07:35:38 PM

I hade EVENT 20/20bas...

Hi,
I`m looking for new monitors too and I going to buy 20/20bas V3 - 3rd reincarnation of old EVENTs. You said that you had this ones, so what do you think?

February 21, 2012, 07:48:38 PM
I've been mixing on Event TR-5's for about 6 years now, they work nicely for me, translate well. My only reservation with the 20/20 is that I think you need a little bigger room, so you can have a bit of distance between yourself and the monitors. I have my TR-5's at arm's length, I don't think the 20/20 would work well that close!

June 08, 2012, 07:35:53 PM
I just bought a pair of Focal CMS40... and i must admit than in my all life of sound engineer, i've never heard such realistic monitors ! They are small, but impressive ! Not in the way they make sound better, no, just like they sound "right"... After mixing a few records with them, i can listen to my mixes everywhere, they sound great, even better !
Theses bombs are really huge ! They are as hard to listen to as a pair of NS10, with bass extension and high end accuracy !

September 24, 2012, 05:04:19 PM
I am using Yamaha HS80Ms and I love them. Hopefully the HS50Ms sound somewhere near as nice.
GEAR: 2010 iMac, Roland Quad Capture, Logic Pro 9, Yamaha HS80M speakers, etc.

November 08, 2012, 03:14:07 PM
My first monitors were the KRK RP6 G2's. First because of my budget, second because I thought the low-end was better balanced in the RP6's than the smaller and bigger ones. Same goes for the VTX series.

I now have a pair of great Adam A7X's to mix on. I absolutely love them. A little out of the OP's budget, but definitely a game changer. Perhaps a little on the room-sensitive side but sound great.

Back on topic, for your first speakers the KRK RP6's are good as well as the Yamaha HS's.
Advice: try to demo the speakers you have your eye/ears on, in a well treated room. Hope this helps!