News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Poll

Favorite song by City and Colour

going home
0 (0%)
Going Home
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Backing vocals with the same singer  (Read 2651 times)

• No avatar
September 18, 2011, 04:25:56 AM
I'm curious to know what methods are out there for creating backing vocals with the same singer.  For example: sometimes for the chorus part I will have the "lead" vocal be the comp where they would do a solo track (deviating from the basic melody) and I will take one of the basic chorus comps, put a high hpf on it and add some distortion.  

This works for the most part but I typically have to do a lot of level automation because I run into intelligibility issues.  Thoughts, suggestions, ideas.........

GW

September 18, 2011, 04:43:00 AM
I always use a totally different signal chain, from mic to recorder input.

That really helps the singer also get into character as a BG as well, since it does not sound at all like the lead vocal.

Also, different reverbs  delays on the BGs, different EQ as well. But no distortion, at least not on my mixes.
They're not that style of music, plus as you know distortion can and does affect intelligibility.

Cheers

September 18, 2011, 05:59:55 AM
If I'm tracking the song, I'll have the singer step back about 3 ft, and track the backing vocals like that. Or have them step off axis to one side or the other.

In mixing, I usually roll some highs off, for intelligibility.

September 18, 2011, 06:05:02 AM
I also try and change the chain - at least the mic - the position of the singer, and I usually vary the amount of compression (if any) and change the pass-filters, and use different effects.

I tend to like a higher high-pass on BV's, and if there's a heavy long delay on the lead, I'll go for a shorter, subtler one on BV's or just a late, and vicey-versey.

• No avatar
September 18, 2011, 08:48:29 PM
If I'm tracking the song, I'll have the singer step back about 3 ft, and track the backing vocals like that. Or have them step off axis to one side or the other.

I had never thought to do this!  Thats a great idea because automatically based on their proximity the timbre of their voice will differ.  I'm going to try this on my current recording.

GW