News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: Too much bad sounding stuff out there - a root cause?  (Read 8497 times)

• No avatar
September 14, 2011, 09:24:58 PM
noeqplease

I understand your point but I am not sure it's that.  I think most people or artists care but they don't have a good reference.  And as for effort it takes just as much or more to alter it to bad than to alter it to be good. Having said that it is culturally genre peer pressure driven. They mix things in whatever format is popular these days.  That is the beauty of video and why it moves in the opposite direction of audio in quality.  You can't go too far or something being different than real becomes noticeable to everyone. Video cannot be dumbed down like audio because we constantly see the standard.  In audio we rarely hear that standard if ever.  The closest we get is voice but that is limited in freq and is usually spoken so we ignore that as a standard.

I find Neal Young to be a great example. Here's a guy who puts out music with a lot of grungy elements. But he prefers vinyl and analog recording.  Somewhere he heard that even something purposefully distorted can sound better.

Equipment-Trends Micro amp w/ Paradigm Export speakers ports covered.  Use Fx EQ for  studio room issue fix.  Also use Klipsch S4 & Sennheiser HD-280 phones - home stereo= AMC 3030 tube amp, Triangle Celius 202 speakers & Behringer para EQ for room nodes-laptop=HP 8430 w/Digigram VXPocket & Reaper

• No avatar
September 15, 2011, 01:08:15 AM
Equipment-Trends Micro amp w/ Paradigm Export speakers ports covered.  Use Fx EQ for  studio room issue fix.  Also use Klipsch S4 & Sennheiser HD-280 phones - home stereo= AMC 3030 tube amp, Triangle Celius 202 speakers & Behringer para EQ for room nodes-laptop=HP 8430 w/Digigram VXPocket & Reaper

September 15, 2011, 05:46:27 AM
My shot at Blood to Bone remix

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Music/Blood%20to%20Bone%20Remix%20imispgh.mp3?w=efee7bc7

Can't get your link to work, can you double check it? You might not have it in a 'public' box?

• No avatar
September 15, 2011, 01:45:13 PM
My shot at Blood to Bone remix

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Music/Blood%20to%20Bone%20Remix%20imispgh.mp3?w=efee7bc7

Can't get your link to work, can you double check it? You might not have it in a 'public' box?

Sorry new to that service

Try it now

• No avatar
September 15, 2011, 06:58:58 PM
imispgh - it's still not working.......it says the file can't be found  ???

• No avatar
September 15, 2011, 07:18:39 PM
imispgh - it's still not working.......it says the file can't be found  ???

it says it is shared and plays for me. What do i do?

September 15, 2011, 08:31:34 PM
In your dropbox, there should be a folder called 'Public' try putting the file in there, then get the link using the little icon thingee. If you're trying to share it, you have to invite each other user to have access (works great with clients, but not to share a file with everyone...)

• No avatar
September 15, 2011, 08:46:48 PM

• No avatar
September 16, 2011, 01:22:55 PM
Wow - a lot of big themes interwoven here.

I think the audio vs video point is very interesting. To my mind it's more about the hardware and the environment than about the format per se. What video hardware is pushed as sexy at the moment? Large full-HD TVs and Blu-Ray players. What "audio" hardware is pushed as sexy at the moment? iPhone. This would be partly industry-led and partly necessitated by circumstantial factors: people normally watch movies sitting in a room at home, and normally listen to music on the move. I don't buy the "if you provide higher-resolution audio formats, people will flock to it" argument. CD is better than MP3 and sales are dying. The convenience of MP3 (especially considering how much easier it is to steal than CD) outweighs the sonic degredation for the majority. And furthermore the industry has made no attempt whatsoever to "hype" better-quality audio in the way that it has with HD video.

It's worth remembering too that we are a visual-dominant species. We are inherently more discriminating visually than through any other modality. Anecdotal example concering the point above: my girlfriend loves the picture quality of Blu-Ray on our 42" plasma, but thinks I'm nuts for commenting on how good the uncompressed 24-bit audio sounds through even a mid-range hi-fi - and she's an accomplished musician. It takes years of practice for our discrimination of audio quality to reach the level of visual acuity that we all have hard-wired from birth.

This is important in understanding not only the relative priorities of consumers (convenience over resolution etc) but also the apparent failings of noob/amateur AEs/mixers. The ear-training curve is super-steep! I'm now listening to mixes I did less than a year ago, which I thought sounded great, and being stunned by the catastrophic depth of their deficiencies. I hasten to add that I'm a total amateur, and I guarantee that the defects in what I do now will be painfully obvious to seasoned pros, even if barely discernible to me at this stage.

Bottom line is - the work of anyone below you on the ear-training curve will probably sound incomprehensibly terrible, but we all have to remember that there's always someone above us on the curve too...

Then of course there's the skills angle: the mixing tricks, the workflow aspects, the mechanisms for referencing properly etc. On this point I cannot stress enough how beneficial it is to witness a pro at work. I was really struggling to improve at the rate I wanted, and so hired Mike Senior to mix a track in my room, with me in the "assistant" chair. This is without a doubt the most cost-effective "investment" I've ever made to improve my mixing, including acoustic treatment!

(Incidentally, the room was untreated when Mike did his mix, which kicks ass. With the treatment I now have, he probably could have reached the same end point more quickly, with greater certainty, but it would have been the same result in the end.)

So I completely second LCressy's plan of hanging out with an ME - don't buy that shiny new mic pre, buy some time with someone higher up the curve and see if they can pull you up a few notches!

Respect to everyone out there who still cares about audio,

Alex
Grid is good.

September 16, 2011, 02:52:06 PM
The visual metaphor is interesting.

I think HD looks great for sports, concerts, live events. I think it looks good for film, if done correctly. But many TVs have a way of 'upsampling' film, to meet the much faster frame rate of HD. They do interpolation to smooth things out, and I think this totally destroys the 'film look' of a movie. I'm talking about movies like Star Wars, which I've seen many time, in theater and on TV, which suddenly looks like it was shot on video, like an old BBC production of Dr.Who.

That and the digital artifacting of the Mpeg format, which is terribly visible on HD tvs bother me a lot. I actually prefer to watch a CRT rather than most LCD and plasma screens. I'm hopeful that newer HD tvs will have better image.

As to sound, I think you're right about learning to listen, and being used to high res audio, as opposed to MP3's on tiny speakers, etc.

I'll listen to this mix of Blood to the Bone on my decent monitors when I have a chance!