News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: Too much bad sounding stuff out there - a root cause?  (Read 9805 times)

• No avatar
September 13, 2011, 06:09:17 PM
Hey no problem. I am between job and have the time unfortunately.

And I agree the commonality from two different perspectives is great.  You are not common amongst your peers.

Equipment-Trends Micro amp w/ Paradigm Export speakers ports covered.  Use Fx EQ for  studio room issue fix.  Also use Klipsch S4 & Sennheiser HD-280 phones - home stereo= AMC 3030 tube amp, Triangle Celius 202 speakers & Behringer para EQ for room nodes-laptop=HP 8430 w/Digigram VXPocket & Reaper

• No avatar
September 13, 2011, 06:11:42 PM
ok, posts are little out of sequence! this is the first time I have used soundcloud, but I tend to agree with you. Normaly I use dropbox, but my account was suspended due to too much traffic. I have some session that I have that people must be downloading as well, so I used it. But, to me, it does something to files, and not good!  As far as the cymbals, I'll listen when I get home and see what I did, typically I pan far LR for the overheads, Kick, snare and HH are dead center, toms usually are far LR. Thanks for the nice words, it does mean alot! Like I stated earlier, I just now got the room where it needs to be, and it's been work, money and patience!!!!

• No avatar
September 13, 2011, 06:38:59 PM
Curious did the room treatments solve all the under 300hz issues?  I assume you can see the sweep from your chair? Also did you treat/absorb all first reflection points including the ceiling and side walls  - for both speakers.  (I assume there is no reflective surface behind your head?
Equipment-Trends Micro amp w/ Paradigm Export speakers ports covered.  Use Fx EQ for  studio room issue fix.  Also use Klipsch S4 & Sennheiser HD-280 phones - home stereo= AMC 3030 tube amp, Triangle Celius 202 speakers & Behringer para EQ for room nodes-laptop=HP 8430 w/Digigram VXPocket & Reaper

September 13, 2011, 06:50:24 PM
Soundcloud can be used, if you allow downloads of the source file. If you don't allow downloads, the streaming is pretty awful to my ears...

• No avatar
September 13, 2011, 06:53:55 PM
Soundcloud can be used, if you allow downloads of the source file. If you don't allow downloads, the streaming is pretty awful to my ears...

Thanks - I will look at that option

• No avatar
September 13, 2011, 06:56:28 PM
Big difference. 

LCressey - please use that option when you listen to mine

• No avatar
September 13, 2011, 08:48:23 PM
LCressey

Please check out my stuff on iCompositions.  The dated jams were live on NINJAM.  All of the original feeds are unprocessed except a skosh of reverb on my drums. I then mix them- add FX etc.  I just posted one of them as no FX so you can compare.  Most are a mix of live and electronic instruments. No loops. (NINJAM is live but with a measure delay. Sounds odd but it sounds great.  Makes singing hard and we have to communicate with text. Which usually doesn't happen cause u only have two hands. So most of it it really jamming with no plan or communication)

http://www.icompositions.com/artists/imispgh

File Feb-26-2011 is jam and is up there in a final and no FX version so you can hear the difference.  I am on drums.

(I don't post them on Soundcloud because only so many entries show on the first page)

September 13, 2011, 10:17:26 PM
Hi,

I think a lot of it has to do in generall to our culture, which has accelerated production in all facets, and thus lessened the quality of any given product in order to satisfy demand.

Thankfully, there are still a lot of artists who respect themselves and their art enough to care about how they present their work to the public. They understand that their work provides a valuable cultural and social fabric,one that jnfortunately at this time most of society is taking for granted, and not valuing as much as they could.

With modern hectic lives, it is harder and harder for the common man to slow down a little and enjoy life. This is more true in Westernized societies which expect it's members to value work and money above all else.

It is hard for Art to compete with providing basic necessities, when it is hard to give yourself and your family these basic necessities.

As in many past economic downturns, some of the first things to suffer in a depression, are Art, Education, and secondary needs, such as a higher quality machine, such as car, washing machine, etc, all in direct relationship to how bad it gets.

Cheers

• No avatar
September 13, 2011, 10:52:50 PM
imispgh, I attached my room's freq response graph in case you are interested. For traps I have - front wall 28 auralex 1x1 squares to make an "attack wall" if you will. Behind my mix desk is a 6 inch thick 2'x4' trap. It just is on the floor behind the desk. My sub is located directly in front of it. On either side, I have a 2'x2'x3' laundry bag filled with 100 lbs of organic insulation and then sitting on top of that are 4" thick 2'x4' bass traps. There is about a foot and a half of the corners exposed. Above me are 2 2" thick 2'x4' traps, hanging about 6" from the ceiling. I have 7 2" thick 2'x4' panels for RFZ around the room. My back corner are the 4" thick traps, although one is actually hung on the door because of the layout of the room, I can't position it in the corner because of the door. With this, the lowend is pretty well behaved, it was just too dampened with the carpet and that's where I was having trouble. The laundry bags came about when I moved into this house from my last one, I shot the room and the lowend was a mess. I completely freaked out! Ran out and filled up the corners as fast as I could! The room in my last house was double this size, the room I am in now is 14"x14.5"x 8", pretty small, I know.....but I do have a closet, 7"x6" I use for guitars and vocals. I have about 2 roominator kits in it! It actually sounds pretty good, and even better with the wood floors. Ok, I'll post this and go listen to your tracks!

- Just gave the tracks another listen, and downloading is MUCH better than streaming with soundcloud !!!! I feel your sense of balance with the frequencies is spot on, really sounds really good. There are things that I hear where a light compressor may help tame a certain area, but on a whole it sounds really nice. The verbs are convincing, putting things in the right space, so as a listener, I believe what I'm hearing, which I think is important. I am not familiar with the online jam, but if that is live over the internet and you have no control over mics, pres, converters and just working with what you get, that's pretty impressive!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 11:11:03 PM by LCressy »

• No avatar
September 14, 2011, 09:15:42 PM
LCressey

Nice plot.  Funny about the laundry backs.  Shows you absorbent mass in corners means a lot in the low end. Hell a couple towers of rolled insulation with the bags cut off wrapped in something nice would work very well.  Your room measurements are tough so the job you did is awesome. You have a square, which is bad, and multiples of 2 big time.  That one area, the dip and 50hz and especially the bump at 70hz could be easily handled with an active device.  I have a Behringer active parametic EQ and it works great for this. They are pretty cheap and other than a hint of noise I have to crank to hear I detect no downside. Having said this  it would only be noticeable when those tones are hit. (You can probably buy one used for under $200).  What you could do is create a reverse EQ and alter your favorite songs then play them back and see what that area adjusted would sound like.

Thanks for listening. Ya know I never run a compressor on the output bus for anything - guess I should.  I have this thing for letting the players feeling and dynamics rule - barring odd or out of place events.  I will take a crack at it. (I have compressed or limited tracks for this reason just not the master bus)

You are correct I cannot control anything on those jam recordings. Luckily NINJAM/Reaper record everyone to their own track and at 44.1 and 24 bit so it gives me a good starting point.  It records offline in OGG then Reaper reconstitutes them in a project.