News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: Mixoff Contest with Barry Wood - Win Barry's New Book!  (Read 65798 times)

• No avatar
July 28, 2011, 09:22:00 PM
Ran out of time, of course, but I did manage to make a few small changes..
Thanks again to the band and to Barry.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/35665801/Ambition-ApeMix-Tweak.mp3

randy
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 09:23:42 PM by rotund »

• No avatar
July 29, 2011, 12:45:34 AM
Came to this way too late.  Love the song.  Here's my effort:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/543762/ambitions_mixa.wav

July 29, 2011, 07:27:54 AM
So Black Sheep is has submitted the last mix before the deadline. I'll be back here tomorrow with results.

July 30, 2011, 02:31:38 AM
And the winner is....

After listening through the 28 final mixes a number of times I narrowed it down to three mixes: spede, DirkZuber, and the-grid. There were a lot of good mixes and a great deal of improvement shown with the revisions that were submitted. Now on to the judging…

The first mix that was submitted in this contest was from spede and he nearly hit it out of the park the first time up to the plate. I don't know if I like his first mix better than the revision though, they're both great and probably the slickest of all the mixes submitted.

DirkZuber stuck with it and submitted three different mixes. Going from too dark to too bright, to just right, he turned in a final mix that has some serious visceral impact. The progression of improvement was impressive.

In music production I'm always looking for the performance, arrangement, sound, lyric, or mix that gives you that shivers-up-the-spine feeling you get when something magical happens. The edit that the-grid made on the last vocal line did exactly that. Just brilliant. That edit, packaged in a great mix gets my nod in the contest as the best mix. PM me and I'll get a copy of my book in the mail to you.

All three of these mixes had a different aesthetic going so if the band were going for a slicker, modern sound I think spede would have been their pick. If they were going for rage I think DirkZuber would be the one.

This contest has been a lot of work but even though, I wish I'd had more time to dedicate to it.  I wish I'd had something like this when I was starting out, struggling and wondering why my mixes sucked. :)

July 30, 2011, 02:32:48 AM
There is something else that I wanted to do regarding this contest that I didn't want to say anything about until it was complete. When I started I decided that I was going to also give away a copy of the book to the person who I thought could receive the most benefit from it. This isn't to say that it's a consolation prize going to the worst mix, it's more a situation where I see someone who's mix was lacking something that I think the book could give them.

In additions to the explanations and comparisons of all the Waves plug-ins, the book also works as a primer to explain many signal processing concepts. To me it sounded like the mix that Trumpino submitted could use some creative compression to make it better. If he works through the mixing examples in the book I think he'll pick up some useful information.

PM me Trumpino and I'll get you a copy as well.

July 30, 2011, 03:36:43 AM

Congrats to the winners.

Thanks again

-----------------------

For what its worth my pick for winner would of been Lastrite.

July 30, 2011, 05:52:17 AM
Congrats guys!

Thanks again Barry for taking the time to do this! Your feedback has been great, and I know everyone learns a lot from this type of critique, hearing everyone else's mixes, and what you had to say about them.

And thanks again to the band for making the tracks available, as well as everyone who submitted mixes!

• No avatar
July 30, 2011, 06:19:36 AM
Well Done Guys!  ;D

My 2¢:

I really like the guitars in DirkZuber's mix - nice and solid sounding (tell me how?!?), but thought the vocals were too 'live' sounding in the context of the mix.

I like the use of effects and the break in the music at the end of The Grid's mix, really cool and effective. But I found the drums too pronounced for my liking (had to find something wrong!). :P

I like Spede's mix overall, everything seems to fit together nicely, and the addition of the strings/synth (hope I'm not imagining it... ???) is a nice touch; although the guitars, like mine, are a bit fizzy still.
"The more one studies these things, the more one realizes that sound is the creative principle." - Hans Jenny

• No avatar
July 30, 2011, 07:49:34 AM
What can I say - I'm absolutely thrilled to have my mix picked by Barry!  ;D

Big thanks to everyone involved - it's been an amazing, fascinating process. I've really enjoyed it throughout, and learned a ton, too.

See you all again on the forum soon, no doubt.

Cheers

Alex

PS To the band: if you like this mix and would like to collaborate further, feel free to PM me...
Grid is good.

July 30, 2011, 11:02:16 AM
Wow ... I never thought I would make it this far !

Thanks again to you Barry, for your time and the great tips. You helped out a lot improving the mixes for all of us !!!

And a big thanks to the awesome Band for this song ... Have a good time rocking out :-)

A happy weekend to all of you
Dirk