News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: Mixoff Contest with Barry Wood - Win Barry's New Book!  (Read 82496 times)

July 23, 2011, 07:25:05 PM
Hi,

here is my mix, nothing on the mixbus.

mp3 (320) : http://snd.sc/qjvqvE
wav : http://snd.sc/oiAxS5

Will now listen to others mixes !

kinsoubus
You mix has more a "live band" sound than the "hyped beyond belief" modern metal sound so my critique will be based on your approach.

The short reverb on the guitars gives them a nice live sound but it does put them into a different space than the other instruments; if you pulled that back a bit the mix would sound a little more cohesive. I'd like to hear the bass better anchor the song. Maybe some 1176-style compression and possibly some bass amp-sim would lend the presence and grind to get the bass to stand up to the guitars. Other than that, it's a good mix.

• No avatar
July 23, 2011, 07:41:05 PM
aglinder
Due to my lag in offering critiques, aglinder has three mixes that I've yet to comment on. The mixes definitely improved upon each other. The first mix was kind of thin and weak, the second was better, and the third got quite a bit better. The guitars are much more focussed in the third mix and I like the balance between the instruments. The kick could stand to come down a bit or maybe just rolling of the low frequencies from 40-45 Hz down would do the trick.

I really like the panning and filtering on the guitars in the intro. I would probably not repeat the panning on the guitar break before the bridge; sometimes it's better to a use an obvious effect once in a mix. The vocal treatment in the bridge is also cool, you might bring it down a couple of dB because that distortion with the "telephone eq" really cuts through.

I forgot to mention one thing... You might want to turn up the power chords on the intro so when the drums and bass hit, it's really big.

Cool, thanks for the feedback Barry! Will try out your recommendations  :D
Yeah, this is my first 'competitive' mix, so I've gotten a little carried away with all the submissions  ::), but the feedback from other forum members has been of great value and listening to the other mixes has really pushed me too!
"The more one studies these things, the more one realizes that sound is the creative principle." - Hans Jenny

July 23, 2011, 07:41:35 PM
Barry, thanks for taking the time to critique my mix. I took what you said about the bass phase issues as well as the kick punching through the mix into consideration. Here is an updated version: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12979410/071511%20-%209%20multiband%20comp%20kick%20boost%202.wav Please feel free to critique this mix as well.

rfahey
I can see where you were going with the vocal effect in the chorus in trying to differentiate them; the problem though is that the heavy chorus effect you're using is messing with the pitch too much. On singers with bad pitch control this can be a good thing but this singer is solid in that department.

You got the overly-bright guitars sounding really good but like a number of the other mixes, the bass could use more definition. That's a challenge given the space that the guitars are already filling.

It also sounds like the drums are scooped in the upper mids and sound kind of closed-in. A wide boost around 6KHz would probably open them up nicely. Of course, making that change may very well cause you to want to adjust the tone of the guitars and vocals but that's the domino effect that is mixing :)

July 23, 2011, 08:07:01 PM
Hi all

I'm new here so first of all, let me say thanks to John for starting this great forum, and Barry for agreeing to judge - I've had a blast mixing this track.

My mix is posted here:

http://soundcloud.com/the-grid-studios/ambitions-ah-mix

The download is a 24/48 .wav file, which has had some compression and EQ on the 2-buss, but no loudness processing.

Hope you enjoy it!

Cheers

Alex

the-grid
The overall tone of your mix is really good. The drums are nice and punchy and the bass has good presence. I would bring the guitars down a dB or so overall and see if that makes gives the mix more impact by letting the other tracks have more space.

Something strange is happening with the bass at 0:43 where there are notes played that are not in the original track.

At 0:58 and 2:13 in the pre-chorus where you adding the vocal effect it sounds like your 2-bus compressor is really kicking in. It's possible that the effect is generating excessive low end that's causing the compressor to act. You may need to use a high-pass filter the effect.

BTW, I absolutely love the muting going at the last vocal line, that adds a lot of drama to the end and the lyric is perfect there. If I were the band I'd start playing the song that way from now on.

July 23, 2011, 08:31:49 PM
Aiight, following the comments, my fecund mix (320kbps - no post-mix processing):

http://soundcloud.com/vvv-4/ambitions-vvvmix2

vvv
The guitars could stand to have their high end tamed. Compared to the rest of the mix of the mix they are by far the brightest element. This would be a problem in mastering because there's little that could be done to brighten up the other tracks without making the guitars super crispy. Once you get the guitars dialed in it will likely expose the other instruments more and cause you to take a look at changes to them. Right now the bright guitar tone is likely masking other issues that you're not currently hearing.

A hallmark of a good mix is consistent frequency perspective between instruments. If everything is consistent then it's possible to make overall tonal changes in mastering to get the track to match up with other mixes on an album. I find that sometimes a mix just wants to be a little dark. I would rather mix a song a little on the dark (or bright) side if it means not having to beat every single track into shape with EQ. I get better results if those broad stroke EQ changes are either done in mastering or as a gentle 2-bus EQ.

• No avatar
July 24, 2011, 02:27:12 AM

[/quote]

Of course, making that change may very well cause you to want to adjust the tone of the guitars and vocals but that's the domino effect that is mixing :)
[/quote]

[/quote]
A hallmark of a good mix is consistent frequency perspective between instruments. If everything is consistent then it's possible to make overall tonal changes in mastering to get the track to match up with other mixes on an album. I find that sometimes a mix just wants to be a little dark. I would rather mix a song a little on the dark (or bright) side if it means not having to beat every single track into shape with EQ. I get better results if those broad stroke EQ changes are either done in mastering or as a gentle 2-bus EQ.
[/quote]

Thanks, Barry! You are giving us some gems. This is the kind of info. that I have experienced, but could not articulate. Thank you. Some pro mix engineer said "changing anything affects everything" (I forget who it was), but man that was a gem, and you are saying the same thing. I am also re-learning the great art of NOT doing things to tracks (Eq etc..), unless they absolutely need it.

Thanks again for a piece of your brain and your experience!

• No avatar
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 07:53:28 PM by aglinder »
"The more one studies these things, the more one realizes that sound is the creative principle." - Hans Jenny

• No avatar
July 24, 2011, 03:33:04 PM
Hi All,

I'm so sorry I did not reach the deadline to have Barry critique a first draft, but hey I'm all in - and hope for the best!

Cool band. I would love to produce an album with these guys.

Here's my mix:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3164224/MASTER_AllHandsLost_Ambition_PeterJuulKristensen_01.wav

I have on purpose not listened to any other submission before I did my own. But I am dying to.

• No avatar
July 24, 2011, 10:02:54 PM

July 25, 2011, 12:19:18 AM
Hi everybody!

Just let me thank All Hands Lost for some great tracks and Barry for his patience.

Here's my mix:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24873953/AllHandsLost-Ambitions%20-%20Stickfigure%20mix%20v1.mp3

And now, off to listening to the other mixes... and to starting to get depressed... ;)

stickfigure
The first thing that struck me with this mix is that the vocals seemed like they were pretty far out in front of everything else. One trick that I've found useful for gauging the overall balance is to listen to the mix at a very low level; if you can still hear everything you've probably got a good balance. When I do that with this mix it becomes apparent that the vocals are too loud. Many of the vocal effects work well but they're kind of in your face. Dropping the overall vocal level might be enough to keep the effects from being too much.

I think you've got the guitar tone tamed pretty well, which is difficult with these tracks. The snare sounds a little over crispy, it's possible that you're using too much of the bottom snare mic. As in many of the other mixes, the bass needs some help to get into a place where it's going to really support the track.

The vocal edit in the bridge was kind of cool. That part rock pretty hard and it's nice to let the instruments go a bit before the vocal comes in.