News:

Please begin sharing multitrack files as FLAC files. Read more here!

Author Topic: Reamping, 'Real Worldizing' and acoustic reverbs - Your Tips and Tricks  (Read 2294 times)

June 08, 2011, 12:27:40 AM
I was reading the Sounds of Star Wars, which is a great book if you love the movies and have an interest in audio! It's interesting that Ben Burtt often 'real worldized' sounds be playing them through a speaker in some room, hall, bathroom, etc, then recording the sound, to get the most realistic sounds possible.

I've done this with sounds on occasion, to get the right 'room' sound on something that was tracked previously, and didn't match the other tracks. Vocals, in particular, which I was trying to blend with live vocals, recorded at a live concert. We overdubbed some vocals, but in the quiet sections of the song, the room vocals from the show didn't match the newly tracked ones. But muting the room mics  made the overdub too obvious. So, I played the vocals through the control room monitors, and recorded them on a mic in the room with us. Blended that in, and it worked perfectly.

Do you ever set up your live room as a reverb, with a speaker and mic(s)?

What about using amp sims ITB to 'reamp' things into a reverb plug?

Share your thoughts, I find that sounds 'real worldized' this way have a dimension and depth that I can't get from a reverb plug.

June 08, 2011, 12:52:59 AM
I tend to handle things with a verb unit...ValhallaRoom is pretty much the bomb of all verbs and emulates all sorts of natural spaces extremely well and is very, very flexible in what it can do.

I haven't run into this issue yet but I know that if I ever do, with VRoom it wouldn't be an issue. Of course giving tracks delays and verbs adds dimension and space to a mix, but I guarantee you VRoom will sound just like an actual room if you try it out. I favor huge, bright verbs and mix to taste using the FX fader and really dial it in.

I do know that they used the live room at my old school as a verb for Robert Plant's vocals and did the exact same things you did and some studios have a "verb room" that's pretty much a room dedicated to doing just what you're describing. However this isn't something I foresee myself messing with. Really, VRoom can do anything.

www.valhalladsp.com
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 12:55:57 AM by AstralPStudios »

• No avatar
August 04, 2011, 10:09:28 AM
I've done this many times. Once had a live recording that was just a stereo mix from the desk that needed some more life put into it as was just close mics. I played the track back through a big HK audio PA rig in the live room and set up two sets of mics, a stereo set of 414s maybe 4 metres back from the speakers and a tube 47 way back in the vocal booth which I slammed with a distressor. Blended these back in with the basic track and may have put a little room plug in there as well and worked a treat!

I've done the same thing with a studio recording just as an experiment, putting the kick and snare tracks back through the PA and re-micing. The idea was to get a room sound without the cymbals and Hi-hats. Worked a charm!

September 10, 2011, 05:21:37 PM
Ahh yeah, I've seen that mentioned in some Sound on Sound articles.  The only one I specifically remember was about the guy who mixed Florence & The Machine's album and piped the snare into the live room.  It's a cool idea.

Apparently on Tommy Lee's solo stuff the engineer (name slips me, there's youtube videos) likes to have some of the drums coming through speakers in the live room...while the drums are being tracked??  (Apparently it sounds more "live" and exciting for the drummer, and helps the drums be more pronounced over the cymbals or something, talk about excessive)

Reamping things doesn't really work on my simple home setup, but when I use the SSL rig in my college I'm constantly re-recording stuff through various bits of kit.  The room thing is something I REALLY wanna experiment with.

September 10, 2011, 05:36:46 PM
Ahh yeah, I've seen that mentioned in some Sound on Sound articles.  The only one I specifically remember was about the guy who mixed Florence & The Machine's album and piped the snare into the live room.  It's a cool idea.

Apparently on Tommy Lee's solo stuff the engineer (name slips me, there's youtube videos) likes to have some of the drums coming through speakers in the live room...while the drums are being tracked??  (Apparently it sounds more "live" and exciting for the drummer, and helps the drums be more pronounced over the cymbals or something, talk about excessive)

Reamping things doesn't really work on my simple home setup, but when I use the SSL rig in my college I'm constantly re-recording stuff through various bits of kit.  The room thing is something I REALLY wanna experiment with.

I've heard of people doing this with drums (not the cymbals, though) on rock recordings. I haven't tried it myself, though. I think I read about something like this on a U2 record?

September 10, 2011, 05:52:59 PM
I have no experience in re-recording sounds via speakers, but I know that chamber presets of reverb plug-ins emulate exactly this setup and it works so well in mix (mainly on drums for me). But no one emulator can give you faithful reverberation so I think that setting it manually is worth of effort. I will try it sometime :)